How-to create physical connection for a Multiserver Setup for ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'General' started by vaio1, Feb 7, 2011.

1. vaio1

vaio1 Member

Hi guys,

I have read this article: A Multiserver Setup With Dedicated Web, Email, DNS And MySQL Database Servers On Debian 5.0 With ISPConfig 3 but I have not seen any physical network connection analysis. I have a technical questions:

1. Which is the best way to connect a basic network solution to the web?
    2. How the physical network is connected between themselves?
    3. Which are the main IPtables rules?

Attachment:
    network: I have created a little pdf diagram.

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no special network topology needed. Use e.g. a 1GBit switch and connect all your servers to that switch. Then either connect the switch to the internet or put a router between the switch and the internet depending on your internet connection.

3. vaio1

vaio1 Member

Hi Till,

but in this way all the servers are reachable directly by the web. Is a good idea create a direct connection between each server and the web?

If I connect the switch directly with the public ip cable to the uplink port, are all the servers reachable by the same Ip from the web?

ISPConfig 3 handles the IpTables rules in this case?

thanks

4. till

The servers in a hosting setup provide services that shall be accessed from the internet, so they have to be connected to the internet.

You need one public IP address per server. If you have only one IP address, then you have to install a router between the internet and your servers.

5. vaio1

vaio1 Member

I could have 4 IP addresses, one for each server.
    So I have to set the Public IP during the configuration of the Debian/ISPConfig 3?

Does ISPConfig 3 handle them. If yes, how?

thanks

6. Toucan

Toucan Member

No, ispconfig does not handle ip routing as you describe.

Like till said;

You will have to have four public ip addreses

Each server will have it's own private ip address

You should have a router that will handle the forwarding of each public ip to each private ip.

On installation of the os etc onto each machine you should refer to it by it's own private ip. But when you want to make connections to it, via the public ip. (don't quote me on that last line!)

7. vaio1

vaio1 Member

Hi Toucan,

ok the servers are all connected to the switch and the switch is connected to the public cable.

All the servers have their own private ip, for instance: 192.168.1.100/150

And now the question comes:

Have I set the switch in order to match the public-private IP as router?

thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  8. Toucan

Toucan Member

Every router is different, and I've never done it for more than 1 public address. So, Id start with just one server. Different services run on different ports so you can either forward all traffic to your server or just specific services.

If you want all traffic to your server you can often make a rule in the firewall menu on the router to forward all traffic, also referred to as dmz.

Or you can choose to forward specific traffic, eg, forward all traffic on port 80 (for web pages) to your internal ip.

Whilst you're exploring your router's settings you may find a setting to forward different public ip to internal ip.

9. vaio1

vaio1 Member

Good morning,

I have a Dell Powerconnect 2808. I'm looking for a way to handle the problem posted before because I don't find any particular document that explain the Switch Software.

In the official manual there are no other information than the installation wizard.

Anyway I would like to suggest to the ISPConfig staff to focus this kind of problem in order to complete the good service that they offer to all the community.

Regards :)

10. till

Your problem is not ispconfig specific and nothing that could or has to be handled by ispconfig.

As Toucan pointed out, every router is different. So you have to take a look in the manual that comes with your router for detailed informtaion on how to install the router that you use in your network.

As you use a Dell router, go to the dell website, I'am sure they offer the manual for your router in their download section.

11. vaio1

vaio1 Member

Yes of course Till. He was quite clear. :)
    Anyway can be useful for all the SysAdmin know a Physical Perfect Install for ISPConfig. It's just for completing the Perfect Install tutorials.

Regards

12. vaio1

vaio1 Member

I have followed these steps:

1. I have set all the servers eth0 cards with a public IP.
    2. I have connected all the servers to the switch in unmanaged mode.
    3. I have connected the public network cable in the switch too.

All the computers would be on the web but know a question comes:

Do the Servers communicate between themselves and resolving the IP internally ?

For instance:

Public IP:
    122.112.33.80 WEB Server
    122.112.33.81 DB Server
    122.112.33.82 MAIL Server
    122.112.33.83 Switch

If the WEB server wants to know some information from the db server must resolve the path to reach the db server in the right way?

thanks

13. kendel

kendel New Member

The best way and this works for me.

Get a gigabit switch...
    Set IPs for each server... Make sure you are able to ping each server...

Get a router to the internet and connect the switch to the router.

Configure the router to forward all ports to each specific server...

14. vaio1

vaio1 Member

So I have to handle the switch in Managed mode, right?

15. kendel

kendel New Member

No an unmanaged switch will work just fine, regardless of what OS you run Linux or Gaycrosoft you can set IPs through the OS.... Then ping each server through the commang line

16. vaio1

vaio1 Member

Just a question:

How have I set the forwarding rules if it is in unmanaged mode?

17. kendel

kendel New Member

looks like u need some networking 101.. (i have to start charging you) anyways.. this is where you router comes in.. you forwards the right ports to the right IP addresses

18. vaio1

vaio1 Member

Yes I am learning everyday new things.
    You have not answer me. ;)

In unmanaged mode you cannot access directly to the software switch, so how have I do?

thanks

19. kendel

kendel New Member

You don't need to access the switch at all... only things you need access to is the router and the command line on your servers...