How to get password reset emails

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by 420ag, Apr 24, 2017.

1. 420ag

420ag New Member

Hey I am trying to do a password reset on ISPconfig.

I have the passwords and access in, but after changing my admin email address in the server configuration, I still cannot get a change-password email after attempting the password reset.

Is there something I should setup or a specific place I should place my email address in so that this password reset feature will work?

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which user did you test? The password of the admin can not be reset like this for security reasons, you can request a password reset email for client and reseller logins only.

420ag likes this.
  3. 420ag

420ag New Member

Hey thanks for replying.

My problem is that I had someone install this for me and I just want to make sure there are no backdoor password resets that I do not know about.

Since there is no password reset for admin, is there places that I can check to make sure there are no password resets anywhere else? I am new to this but have read something about MySQL database passwords and stuff but do not know how all this works.

I basically just need to make sure my site is secure before I change all my passwords and proceed with building the server.

Thanks for your help

4. till

All ISPConfig users are listed under System > CP users. Login to ISPConfig as admin and change the password for the admin user there. If there are other admin users in ISPConfig, then you can see them there as well.

5. 420ag

420ag New Member

okay thanks, I set up all the users aside from admin account.

Do you think there are any other passwords or password resets that I should worry about?

6. till

That's not easy to say. I recommend to take a look into the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files and look for unusual usernames with an active password and shell.

7. 420ag

420ag New Member

Okay I will take a look and see if I can figure this out this evening, thanks again Till