How to have several urls pointing to one website

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fycserv, May 30, 2009.

1. fycserv

fycserv New Member

Hi everyone.

I have my sites running but now, one of my users wants another domain to be used within his website. His website is already running under another domain name. Is it possible to handle this from the ISPConfig admin panel ?

To be clearer, He wants their visitors to reach his website no matter if they write www.hissite.com or www.hissite2.com.

Thanks a lot.

Fernando.

2. spectre03

spectre03 New Member

Can he not just use a CName for the site and redirect it to the "preffered" url? If it is the exact same site I don't see why he wouldn't want to redirect to the base url but maybe I am not thinking of something they are.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can add as many domains as you like as co-domains to the website.

4. fycserv

fycserv New Member

Ok Till, thanks a lot.

Something tells me that I must create a DNS register if I want the domain to work properly. Fortunatelly, the co domain interface allows us to create this DNS automatically.

Once the co-domain is created, does the ispconfig script relates the new co domain with the web site located in var/www/webX/web ?

5. fycserv

fycserv New Member

I'm not sure if I understand your point. I have seen that cname term somewhere in the dns manager but i have not taken the time to understand its purpose. I'll separate the space to study about it. I beg you to send me info about it, if you have it at hand. :)

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

7. fycserv

fycserv New Member

Hi everyone.

I proceeded as suggested, "create a co domain". As usual I pointed my domain to my server where I expect to resolve the name. But until now, when the domain is used in internet, it goes to the shared Ip html page. This make me think that my dns configuration needs something else.

Would you help with this ?. something to have in mind is that I´m using a DMZ to reach the server.

I already used dig to confrontate the results of this co domain with another well-working domain. Evertything seems to be good.

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to make sure that the co-domain points to the exact same IP adress then the main domain of the website with a dns A-Record.

9. fycserv

fycserv New Member

Thanks a lot Till,

I'm kind of confused. When you say "points to the exact same IP adress" what do you mean ? In my ispconfig enviroment all the webx spaces are sharing the same IP. If I understand, there is an appache directive that handles the received request and knows to which of the webx/web/ files the response is.

Help me with this please, I'm still having the shared ip response when use my new url.

10. id10t

id10t Member

I think Till meant to say "co-domain points to the exact same IP address as the main domain of the website with a dns A-Record"