How to make private SQUID behave as if its not installed?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Nap, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Nap

Nap Member

I setup SQUID3 on my server and it's setup in such a way that it can only be used through a SSH Tunnel. I tell my browser to use the localhost address 127.0.0.1:3128 as a proxy, and it works when the tunnel is active.

I don't want others to know that there is a proxy server setup on my system, so I tested a few different access methods.

When I close the tunnel but leave the proxy setting at 127.0.0.1:3128, my browser gives me a The proxy server is refusing connections error that is generated by my BROWSER. (This is fine because without the tunnel, the localhost address has no meaning.)

When I change my browser's proxy settings to point to an arbitrary server (which presumably doesn't run SQUID) I get a The connection has timed out error that is generated by my BROWSER. (This is what I want to occur when they happen to choose my server.)

But
    when I change my browser's proxy settings to point to my server's public IP:3128, I get the ERR_ACCESS_DENIED error message that is generated by SQUID. (Which I don't want!)

Thus, it is possible to figure out that I have SQUID installed.

Since I have not openned port 3128 in my firewall, I'm also confused how SQUID is being reached by my requests in the first place.
    I would like the The connection has timed out error to occur rather than the SQUID generated one when someone nominates my server as their proxy.

Is there a way of making this happen?
    (For the time being, I've replaced the default ERR_ACCESS_DENIED error message with the ISPConfig 404 error.)

Cheers,
    Nap

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015