How to recreate config files

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by modir, Sep 23, 2015.

1. modir

modir New Member

Is it possible to recreate the users in /etc/passwd and the webserver config files?

One situation where this is needed: At the moment we have apache running on the server with ispconfig. The server is very old and we want to replace it. At the same time we want to switch from apache to nginx. Hence the question if there is a command we can run after migrating the ispconfig database from the old server to the new one.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

See Tools > Resync in ISPConfig. The users in passwd and group and gshadow file should be migrated from the old server as the users might get different uid's otherwise. search the forum for ispconfig migration, there are many threads that explain how to migrate a server.

3. modir

modir New Member

Hi Till,
    I specifically want to have everything recreated and not just copied over. We have for more than 5 years installed updates after updates and I am sure we have a lot of outdated stuff laying around. Furthermore we want to move many functionalities like e.g. from the DB based DNS to bind, httpd to nginx, etc..

We are willing to take some more work on us because of the UIDs etc. just to have a clean now environment.

Is there some more information about this Resync somewhere?

Thanks,
    Raffael

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The migration instructions that you find here on the forum copy just website and email data and database but no installed programs, check them out. The resync functions writes out website and dns config files again.

modir likes this.
  5. modir

modir New Member

Thanks that's roughly what I needed.
    Is it possible to call the resync from the console as well? E.g. with additional parameters?