How to setup a test environment

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ibrouwer, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ibrouwer

ibrouwer New Member

Can someone tell me how to set up a test environment for which no valid websites have been setup yet: i.e. a test environment which I can use locally within my own network to experiment with ISPconfig ?

I have setup ISPconfig and can access and create everything. I just do not know how to handle DNS and IP addresses to access a website on the testserver. The IP address of the server is 192.168.1.47, so only a local address. So how do I set it up so I can access a client website created on this server ?

Thanks,
    Idso.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. ibrouwer

ibrouwer New Member

Ok, thanks. I was referring to any setup within ISPConfig. If I access the server as described above, I get to the main website of the server, but not the website of a client. How do I get to the website of the client ? Is there something to add in ISPconfig ?

4. till

The method I posted above is used to access the website of a client. Just add the domain of the website that you want to add to the hosts file of your desktop.

5. ibrouwer

ibrouwer New Member

I think that I am not explaining myself correctly:

I have installed a testserver (debian-server.brouwer.local) with the IP-address 192.168.1.47 and I installed ISPConfig3 on it.
    I then created a client and a user and added the IP-address 192.168.1.50 for that user/client and for that client created a website named test.org so test.org zhould be reachable under 192.168.1.50
    All of these domains are purely local and do not exist; I am only trying to create a test-environment.

Now when I go to 192.168.1.50 I do not reach the client website (address not found). When I go to 192.168.1.47 I reach the main website of the server, but not of the client.

Obviously I did something incorrect in setting up the client or the clientwebsite, but from the documentation I can not figure out what.

Thanks,
    Idso Brouwer

6. till

I fully understood which setup you made and I posted you what to do to reach the website alreayd in post #2.

Edit the hosts file of your desktop and add the domain of your test website there. Windows, Mac and Linux have all a hosts file that you can edit.

7. ibrouwer

ibrouwer New Member

Ok, thanks for the reply. It does not work, so I'll look elsewhere for a solution.

regards,
    Idso.

8. till

Ok, so you sed the domain to access the website and not the IP address like you posted above after you added a line:

192.168.1.50 test.org

in the hosts file?

Did you yonfigure the IP address 192.168.1.50 in the network cards ettings fil of your test server, before you added it in ispconfig?

9. ibrouwer

ibrouwer New Member

Excellent, that was the problem. Thanks for sticking with me :)

regards,
    Idso Brouwer.