How to setup DNS

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by inside83, Jan 22, 2015.

1. inside83

inside83 Member

Thank you.
    Actually, I haven't touched anything and it worked all by itself. Now xyz.com shows standard ISPconfig's index.html start page.
    Guess DNS had to propagate. Could it be due to DNS propagation?
    But this happened to me on other domains as well and now I know what to look for.
    All my domains are set to an IP, not * and I use nginx, not Apache.

Regarding your guidance that all domain names should end with the dot: even if I don't add the dot at the end, ISPconfig adds it automatically.

Follow up: Should I put IP of ISPconfig #2 in "Allow zone transfers to these IPs" on ISPconfig #1?
    I did but mxtoolbox.com reports "Serial numbers do not match". Is it because of that?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

yes.

3. inside83

inside83 Member

One more thing, please:
    I can set my NS's to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com to any domain EXCEPT for mydomain.com?
    Because I just did that and mydomain.com and all of its subdomains (including ns1 and ns2) became unavailable. I could access ISPconfig #1 and #2 only via IP address.

4. till

Yes. That basically the hen <> egg problem. to resolve the subdomain ns1.mydomain.com, you must know the dns server of the zone mydomain.com. But you cant do that as the the nameserver is a subdomain of the same zone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System#Circular_dependencies_and_glue_records

There is a solution for that, it is named a glue record. This means that you have to add an a-record for ns1 and ns2 at the domain regitsry of the domain, so this a-record gets stored in the root nameservers.

5. inside83

inside83 Member

Thank you.
    I was thinking exactly that: hen <> egg :)
    But I am pretty sure I entered the glue records. Maybe just needs more time to propagate.

On a side note: shouldn't the text when adding secondary DNS zone be "Allow zone transfers FROM these IPs (comma separated list)" since you should add the IP address of the first/primary NS?

How long does it take for the secondary zone server to pick up what the primary is sending?
    Because it has been a little under 12 hours since I configured both primary and secondary DNS zone and mxtools.com is reporting:
    "At least one name server failed to respond in a timely manner; Failure detail: IP of secondary zone server"

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  6. inside83

inside83 Member

It has been almost 48 hours since I configured primary and secondary DNS zone and mxtools.com still reports the same:
    Code:
    At least one name server failed to respond in a timely manner
    Failure detail: IP address of the ISPconfig server with secondary DNS zone configured
    Please help

7. till

Check the sylog of the secondary dns server for bind / named errors.

8. inside83

inside83 Member

Is this it:
    Code:
    Feb 18 11:20:45 vps named[512]: zone [I]mydomain.com[/I]/IN: refresh: unexpected rcode (SERVFAIL) from master [I]secondary dns server IP[/I]#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0)
    Im not sure where to look for syslog.

9. inside83

inside83 Member

@till
    Can you please help me?
    Where to look for bind errors?

10. till

Bind logs all ist errors into the syslog file of the server. Check the syslog of the master and the slave server.

11. inside83

inside83 Member

I have finally managed to work this out.
    Bellow is the screenshot of my configuration on both servers for future reference for anyone struggling like me.
    ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p5 - DNS.png

julian ruiz and till like this.
  12. Ympker

Ympker New Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017