how to setup domains pointing to username like about.me or tumblr

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Rajesh patel, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Rajesh patel

Rajesh patel New Member

Hi,

I really like ispconfig , its awesome :)
    I working with cpanel and subdomain since many years now. but I am new to DNs and all stuffs.

MY Question is :
    How to setup domains pointing to username like about.me or tumblr and wordpress.
    i.e If you go to about.me/nirajmehdiratta , They can assign custom domain to this USERNAME .Does nirajmehdiratta Is directory or subdomain ?
    OR if you go to engineering.tumblr.com , they have subdomain in tumblr, engineering is subdomain.
    do they created directory named engineering ?
    So how do they manage useraccount as subdomain/directory . Is it different site?
    Can any guide me on this please ?

I am using amazon aws ec2 instances, we should have route53 service. We also store all files on aws S3

I want to achieve same thing.
    My main domain is mydomain.com ,
    my user will register free service and they will be acceess via username e.g mydomain.com/myusername , this users video goes to mydomain.com/myusername/videos and contact form goes to mydomain.com/myusername/contact
    Now If user will pay premium money, they can assign domain, so let say , they want to convert mydomain.com/myusername to newdomain.com this is registered by my use.

Now when other users search for user : myusername they can see newdomain.com/videos and newdomain.com/contact

Can anyone help me with this please, My most of development is ready but now we wanted to assign domain names.
    This is very urgent please.

Thanks you for your help. much appreciate.

Also : Can anyone help me to work with me together on this project?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's all handled inside the cms of the website. Just create a new website and install e.g. wordpress in it, the cms (e.g. wordpress in this case) maps the paths virtually for whatever you want, it does not matter if /abcd is a username, a city, a car manufacturer or whatever. Wordpress installs a .htaccess file for this automatically that redirects all incoming requests to index.php so that it is able to react on the different url's.

3. Rajesh patel

Rajesh patel New Member

till, Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to map paths virtually ?
    I am creating similar site to tumblr and wordpress.com
    so how they manage different themes and different plugins for each user. also user can assign custom domain
    Can you please give me hint on this ? How do they manage those stuffs ?

Thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

For PHP scripts: take a look at the global variable $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], split this by "/" and you get all path parts and can act according to that info.

and you need a .htaccess file similar to the one that wordpress uses to redirect all incoming requests to your php file, e.g. index.php

Code:
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

5. Rajesh patel

Rajesh patel New Member

Alright I will try and let you know.