how to setup web folder in /var/www to be accessed

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Abdussamii Sunusi, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Abdussamii Sunusi

Abdussamii Sunusi New Member

I have web folder with root as username and group how do I set it up to be accessed on the internet with a registered domain. Thanks for your awaithing response

2. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You need your registered domain to have at least one A-record pointing to the public IP of your server.
    Install any webserver you like and let it serve files from /var/www - how to do that, depends on which software you choose.
    Don't use root for serving files, while static files might not be a security risk, as soon as you setup scripting languages or cgi it can result in unwanted behaviour.
    Are you playing locally or did you rent a server already?
    If you have a server in "public space" e.g. a data centre, I hope you already know what you're doing...

3. Abdussamii Sunusi

my registered domain is working but when i tried to access it the web server apache2 was complaining "you don't have access this server. This is from google cloud machine

4. ztk.me

Any hints in the access/error log which file has been tried to serve? is there a index file at all?

5. Abdussamii Sunusi

my web application configuration directory is as follows.
    drwxr-xr-x 2 www-data www-data 4096 Feb 29 15:54 html
    drw-r--r-- 4 www-data www-data 4096 Mar 8 16:46 www.example.com

The web browser response is as follows:
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Apache/2.4.10 (Debian) Server at 1.2.3.4 Port 80

6. ztk.me

so what's your configuration file look like? What aout the error/access log? www-data shouldn't be an issue for apache on debian to access.