How To Use Apache+Nginx Reverse Proxy On ISPConfig With LetsEncrypt Support

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by OptimBro, Jun 22, 2019.

1. OptimBro

OptimBro Member

I am using ISPConfig with Apache+Nginx reverse Proxy. ISPConfig is installed with Apache and I have to do every part that is related to Nginx manually.
    If we can use custom templates so it will be useful for everyone.
    - Automatic Nginx Vhost Creatiing, updating, deleting.
    - Automatic LetsEncrypt SSL
    - .htaccess suppport while having performance benefits from Nginx

There was .tpl file on github and also in ISPConfig folders but that't not working or I don't know how to use them.

Thanks in advance if someone can write a tutorial on this.

Thanks

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think it is not a matter of writing a tutorial but basically modifying / creating another version of ISPConfig that can serves both web server at the same time.

You will basically need to modify the "create and edit website" function to automatically create an nginx vhost at the same time of creating an apache2 vhost, not to mention any other related / affected ISPCofig core / lib / source files.

If you wanna try, one of my thoughts is that, on an ISPConfig apache2 server - create a bash script to detect the creation / the update of a vhost in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ then create an nginx vhost for the said website(s) in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/.

I never attempted this but I think it is possible and you may ask if you are not sure as many others may be willing to help you on this.

Another approach will be to create a proper plugin (I am not sure if that is already readily available) to read ISPConfig database for the same website edit /creation and execute the same function as I mentioned above.