HOWTO: create a cronjob in ispconfig3 to start the TYPO3 scheduler service

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by dinsdale, Feb 25, 2011.

1. dinsdale

dinsdale New Member

This took me quite some head scratching until I had it running so I put together a quick checklist for future use:

Settings under tab 'Clients'

$clientname - Limits check the following options:
    Allowed cron job types -> 0
    Max. type of cron jobs (chrooted and full implies url) -> Full Cron

Settings under tab 'Sites'

Cron/Cron Jobs -> Add new Cron job
    Command to run ->
    /bin/pwd && cd /var/www/$domain/web/typo3 && php cli_dispatch.phpsh scheduler

Note: I have my TYPO3 source directory symlinked to the client folders. The cd is nescessary so the cli script can find the configuration files in typo3conf. the /bin/pwd is nescessary since ispconfig expects an absolute path as first argument. 'cd' is a buildin command and cannot be preceeded with a path, therefor we execute another dumb command just before.
    The cronjob will be executed with the rights of the user/group of the client web. Make sure that the path to the script and included files are readable.

Notes about troubleshooting:

cronjobs are stored in a file by ispconfig in /etc/cron.d/
    check /var/log/syslog and /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log for the execution and errors of cronjobs
    You can login temporarily as the webuser and execute commands like the cronjob with the users permission if you change the shell of the user but don't forget to change it back afterwards: 'chsh -s /bin/bash web#'