Howto Reqest - Connectivity between Android Jelly Bean and Fedora 20

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by gintonbo, Aug 2, 2014.

1. gintonbo

gintonbo New Member

Greetz,

I am experiencing difficutly with connectivity between two contemporary Linux derivatives: Android Jelly Bean & Fedora 20. As I've worked/tinkered with both OSes for a bit, here's my expectation of what should, "Just Work" (tm):

1. USB
    2. SD card (if removable)
    3. ADT
    4. Bluetooth
    5. Wifi (802.11ac)/Internet

With everything "cloud" these days, I've chosen to list connectivity in the order of closest to furtherest away, because what good is connecting these two devices worlds apart, if at 3 feet from each other they JUST FAIL!? Pitfalls I've already experienced:

1. USB

Google Devs have transitioned to the MTP protocol for USB. Though I am unsure at what API level this transition has occured, I understand the rational behind it - allowing acces to the storage area, while remaining mounted under Android.

My own user experience here fails, badly. On the Android (HTC One "m7", CyanogenMod 10.2.1-m7att) under Storage, USB computer connection, I have Media device (MTP) & Camera (PTP) as options, and it's my understaning MTP is preferred.

Fedora 20 side? Under MATE Desktop Environment 1.6.2, I get a nice icon under Caja's "computer:///" and THAT'S IT. Any assistance on having Fedora auto-mount the Android under /Media would be appreciated here. I understand there may be delving into FUSE, gvfs-mtp or udev.

2. SD card

May be moot, as the HTC One m7 no longer has a removable SD card, but again, Fedora Linux expected behaviour would be to auto mount an SD card (or microSD in adapter)

3. Android Development Tool (ADT)

This has been the one area where connectivety between the two devices works. However, there's a some overhead in installing ADT, namely, if a user will be installing ADT, may as well add Eclipse, Java, and Ant for a full development environment. Additionally, ADT doesn't strike me as the greatest tool for doing something simple like a media sync under say, Banshee. How many adt push commands would THAT take?

4. Bluetooth

Looking momentarily at Fedora 19, bluetooth worked, in so much as having a Bluetooth icon, and being able to pair devices. Granted, on an Acer V5-171 (host machine) I had to pass kernel parameters "acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor" through /etc/default/grub, and due to UEFI, "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg" took some digging.
    It's my understanding Fedora 19 had the Bluez 4 stack. Fedora 20 however, shipped with Bluez 5. Bluetooth completely DISSAPPEARS. Fn-F3 only cycles wifi, with absolutely no indication under Fedora that a bluetooth device exists on a wifi card (In this case - An Intel Network 7260.HMWG WiFi Wireless-AC 7260 H/T Dual Band 2x2 AC+Bluetooth HMC).

5. Wifi 802.11ac

Retailers (in the US) have begun to push the 802.11ac standard. On the Android, a user can chose between the 2.4/5 Ghz frequencies. Given the failings of the above means for connectivity (even just simple file transfer), it'd be nice to have the option of tethering, or just plain ad-hoc between the two. Items such as Network Manager connecting at 5 Ghz, configuring a SaMBa/CIFs share on Fedora for the Android to access (or vice versa), maybe even simple FTP & SSH?

Thanks!