HTML Email support

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Jeremy007, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jeremy007

Jeremy007 Member

Hello to my HTF friends,

SETUP : Multi Server - panel, mail, dns, web
    HTTP Server: NGINX

i really need support for allowing HTML emails. currently ISPConfig does not support it. I m able to alter the system myself but would like advise on how to achieve it. I also have a few questions. This all in conjunction with the billing module.

1. It seems as if the mail being sent passes through a validation script. I can surpass this script?
    2. If i surpass the validation and add my own custom validation do i need to add anything else to my mail server?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What do you mean by "HTML emails"?
    On my ISPConfig e-mail server I can send and receive e-mails containing HTML. But I have configured Thunderbird to not send HTML formatted e-mails and not display HTML. I can not see how ISPConfig would prevent HTML e-mails, and I can not see in what way ISPConfig would not support HTML e-mails.
    Maybe you have set up e-mail filter that discards e-mails containing HTML?

3. Jeremy007

Jeremy007 Member

Well got it partially working. The problem is saving an HTML template in ispconfig throws a "possible attack detected" error. Trying to bypass it

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Copy /usr/local/ispconfig/security/ids.whitelist to ids.whitelist.custom and make your addition(s) there, to exclude the specific rule(s) which fire for the file(s) which trigger them. Check the web server error log (I think) for the filename(s), and probably the rule(s) would be mentioned there as well, or you can see that in Monitor > Show System-Log.

Once you have things working/tuned, you could submit a patch with your ids.whitelist changes to be included upstream, or just post them here and someone else can catch it.

5. Jeremy007

Jeremy007 Member

Well i found a workaround by editing the security_settings.ini and adjusting the ids_admin_block_level a little higher then i integrated PHPmailer into inspconfig because the default mail() function was not working properly with HTML mails.