I am A newbie I need Help^__^

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Unknown_X, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Unknown_X

Unknown_X New Member

Hello ppl

I am A newibe 2 server things :eek: so I need 2 know all about Having a web server so anyone can Help me?

and my server's Info is:
    2.8 GHz
    512 RAm

hmmmmm

if You Need any Extra info I will tell Ya

I want 2 know what I need in( hardware and software)

and about my OS it is fedora Core 4
    BTW I dont now how 2 Config fedora( I used to use Windows XP OS ) coz I am A fedora Newbie as well and I am using the grahical interface for this OS

I need help so I will wait for Your Replay....

Bye bye
    :D

2. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

ok, you are a newbie - so what ? ;-)
    If you need advice please tell us what you want to use the server for?
    Will it be a server on the internet, a dedicated one or a virtual one? Or do you just want to experiment with a server at home, using DSL maybe?

If you give us more info and ask some questions we might help you with some advice.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

4. Unknown_X

Unknown_X New Member

thank You Tenaka and I want the server 2 be a virtual web hosting we well as using it for my website and using a DSL in my home. so can I use it @ home and what do I need other than the server?
    Dear falko
    and thanks for the tutorial ^__^
    But what is SSh client?
    sorry guys but I told You I am A newbie...NO...Extreme Newbie[​IMG]

bye bye ^__^

5. Unknown_X

Unknown_X New Member

thank You Tenaka and I want the server 2 be a virtual web hosting we well as using it for my website and using a DSL in my home. so can I use it @ home and what do I need other than the server?
    Dear falko
    and thanks for the tutorial ^__^
    But what is SSh client?
    sorry guys but I told You I am A newbie...NO...Extreme Newbie[​IMG]

bye bye ^__^

6. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

If I udnerstood this right you want to do this:

setup a PC at home with linux and connect it to the itnernet with dsl. this machine will serve your website to the net and will also host some other sites?

If you want to stick to fedora I suggest you read through falkos how-to (the link he gave you) and try and set it up on your pc. You WILL get errors and not everything will run, thats usual for a newbie. I guess everybody here had to setu his server up severall times, always learning from past mistakes.
    So go ahead and follow the guide. THEN install ispconfig (see instructions on the main website).
    AND please play around with it, test it, make sure you know what you are doing before connecting it to the net...

7. Unknown_X

Unknown_X New Member

Should I use the graphical Fedora or the text mode?

8. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

well I guess its better to use text mode because the graphical mode/tools is/are not much more than a frontend to the command line and you should know what clicking a button does => use text mode. Most how-to's are explaining on the command line, you will find things like: do a ps aux and post the output here, as an example - so what are you going to do if you only know graphical mode? start a taskmanager tool and post a screenshot?

My advice is forget about graphics, thats ok if you are using the pc as a workstation but for a server you need to know whats under the hood.

9. falko

Only if you don't follow the tutorial exactly. :D

Text mode!

It allows you to connect to your server from another system (e.g. Windows desktop). You login with your username (e.g. root) and password, and then you have your server's shell on your desktop. It's like telnet, but secure!

10. Unknown_X

Unknown_X New Member

aha!
    so that means I can use my fedora server from my windows XP?
    thats Kool!
    and I want 2 use easy 2 admin a web server like Cpanel or plesk can I use them or not?
    and (Sorry for that much Of Questions[​IMG])
    how can I use them in text mode?
    and whaich one is better using cpanel,Plesk or the normal text codes, because I found the text mode kinda hard for me?

11. falko

I don't know cpanel and Plesk very well, but why don't you use ISPConfig ( http://www.ispconfig.org/ )? It's free, has a lot of features (probably more than you'll need :) ), and you'll get the best support for it here on the forum (I'm one of the developers...:D ).

12. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

you were talking about "using" your server from win xp, it not really like using its more like having control, giving commands to your server by using putty as ssh client.
    The graphical interfaces like cpanel, plesk or ispconfig can help you control your server via a browser interface from wherever you want but you are limited. but using ssh you have full control over your server (thats called a shell access if you rent a serevr) but you must know your commandline pretty well.

13. Unknown_X

Unknown_X New Member

But I dont know even one command?
    so plz do You have any documents or manuals that I can Read and learn from it?
    BTW...
    ...;;;***Your are the best guys thanks For supporting me***;;;...
    I am ^___^ Happy

14. falko

15. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

one more tip to learn what you are doing, besides copy and paste is this:

after you copy and paste one command, you could use your systems documentation to learn more about the command you just issued like this:

on your putty client type this: man "command" and substitute command by the command you want to learn about.

16. Unknown_X

Unknown_X New Member

thanks guys Your are thebest and If I have any questions I will post the in this thread

17. badben

badben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I used linux for the first time about a month ago with the same idea as you. Before I had only used windows.

My advice ( from experience and many hours of trial and error ) is to follow the tutorials very carefully and you will learn more than you would have thought about linux.

The ISPConfig package is very good and as falko said, it's free as opposed to being very expensive for the cpanel and plesk packages you mentioned. I know, cos thats what I was going to do before I found ISPConfig.

18. Unknown_X

Unknown_X New Member

Good advise my friend thankx I really respect This and thankx to falco for the ISPconfig;)

19. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

The "Perfect Setup" instructions are designed to get the system ready to install ISPConfig on top, not as an end in themselves. ISPConfig is a server management tool with a graphical front end like Cpanel or Plesk (but it is free).

If you are doing this just to run one or two web servers, you really don't need ISPConfig (or Cpanel or Plesk) but you would need to get to know a little about how to set things up. However, I found ISPConfig pretty helpful to a beginner, and it's probalby a good idea to install it in your situation.

You won't get good performance whatever you do, because generally the uplink speed of ADSL is slow, and the cost of SDSL tends to be too high for most people. But it will work.

20. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Unknown_X,

If you are new to this stuff (like I was about 2 months ago) I suggest you have a look at the home version of ClarkConnect (http://www.clarkconnect.com/) You will have it up and running within no time!