I need change the hostname and hostname fqdn

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rutame, Sep 24, 2008.

1. rutame

rutame Member

I need change the hostname whole because i cant put co-domain (i think) while the server still using the same domain name.

Thank you for your help

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Change the hostname in:

/etc/hostname
    /etc/mailname
    /etc/postfix/main.cf
    /etc/hosts

and then run the command:

hostname -F /etc/hostname

3. rutame

rutame Member

Thank you very much Till, a thing that i dont understund the server's domain has to be authentic domain name or i can put anything like rutame.rut for example.

Thank you

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I stronlgy recommend to use a real domain. I'd buy a "technical" domain that you use for the purpose of naming servers only, but not for web sites, emails, etc.

5. rutame

rutame Member

Thank you falko

6. dagg

dagg New Member

quick question on something you said here Falko,
    you said use a domain that is not going to be for a website... what problems exactly could i run into doing that? I have my server set as server.domain.com and the domain is the same for my websites. I would just like to understand more about what the potential negatives are in that given situation.

sorry to add on to someone elses thread, but it seemed the best place to ask the question.

Thanks!

7. rutame

rutame Member

Hello dragg.

I had some problems using the same domain name for the server and one web client, but i dont know why.

Now i am using the same configuration (server.domain.com and www.domain.com) and all goes fine.

Right now i go to add a new subdomain for the same domain the name server. I have my finger crosseds ;-) and a good backup of my server.

Greetings