I need some advice

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by bschultz, May 7, 2007.

1. bschultz

bschultz Member

Hi,

I need a shopping cart that will play with Paypal, AND will also write a username, password, and item ID to a Mysql DB on my server.

Here's what I need:

I am planning on offering an audio stream for a college sports team. I need to offer the subscription for one game, AND also give the option to purchase the whole season for a discounted price. So, i need the cart to process the payment, and then write what the person bought to the DB. Then I need a user authentication script (which I can write) to only allow the person to access the stream (playlist file in the protected directory) if they bought the stream.

Does anyone know of a cart script that would do this for me?

Thanks.

Brian

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't know if OsCommerce or other free shopping carts can do this, but I think what you want to do is very similar to what we do with our subscriptions ( http://www.howtoforge.com/membership ). We're using vBulletin for this together with some plug-ins, and it works like a charm. vBulletin supports subscriptions and PayPal.

3. bschultz

bschultz Member

Thanks, Falko. I actually looked into OcCOmmerce and Cube Cart last night. I think that I can do a table join of the users table and the purchases table to form my login script, but your post confirms that I'm on the right track.

Thanks again!

The only thing that I'm having a hard time figuring out how to write is the way to authorize a single game subscription. I don't want to have to list EVERY game in the cart, just the option of listening to one game or all games. I think I can require the person to purchase the stream on the day of the game, and use the purchase_date field of the database to compare it to curdate...but how can I not allow a purchase on a date where there isn't a game? It's not that I don't want their money, but it's not fair to let a person buy a game...and then have them realize that they looked at the schedule wrong, and the game is tomorrow...which means they have to buy another game.

Brian