I need to install ispconfig on centos 8

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by danibel, Sep 28, 2019.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thank you for offering your help! I'll post here if there is something that neds to be tested.

2. PermaNoob

PermaNoob Member

Corona time?

3. florix.net

florix.net Member

Dear Till,

Good morning. can you please let us know when Centos 8 how to will be availble?

--
    Richard

4. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

The support of CentOS 8 is already implemented. Have a look at the stable-3.1 branch at git.ispconfig.org.
    I think the only reason why where has been no official release with CentOS 8 support yet, is probably due to the lack of certain packages from EPEL 8 and CentOS 8 base that are required to properly run ISPConfig on CentOS 8.

5. florix.net

florix.net Member

Thank you for your quick reply. I am referring to howo for a perfect server install along with ispconfig.

6. Victorius

Victorius New Member

Hi,

I did a git clone git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3.git then after running the install I got:
    Operating System: Redhat or compatible, unknown version.
    This distribution is not supported.

cat /etc/os-release
    NAME="CentOS Linux"
    VERSION="8 (Core)"
    ID="centos"
    ID_LIKE="rhel fedora"
    VERSION_ID="8"
    PLATFORM_ID="platform:el8"
    PRETTY_NAME="CentOS Linux 8 (Core)"
    ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:centos:centos:8"

CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT="CentOS-8"
    CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT_VERSION="8"
    REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="centos"
    REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="8"

cat /etc/redhat-release
    CentOS Linux release 8.1.1911 (Core)

What am I doing wrong?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You probably checked out the wrong branch. The correct branch is stable-3.1

8. Victorius

Victorius New Member

You must be right, it seems git clone uses the master, I have downloaded it manually, now working fine.
    Thanks for the fast support!

9. ariban99

ariban99 Member

how till, when you make the tutorial for centos 8, can you do it with PHP 7.4 (the latest PHP)?
    do you have an eta on the tutorial? during the corona time, i have time to upgrade to a new fresh install!
    whats the best way to copy all of the ispconfig data from my centos 7.2 to the new centos 8 that. all emails, websites, etc...

10. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

ISPConfig supports the PHP version that is default on the OS. I do not know what PHP Centos 8 comes with.
    But for websites it is possible to have additional PHP versions, and choose per website which PHP it uses.
    Code:
    whats the best way
    What criteria is used for evaluating bestness?
    There is ISPConfig Migration Toolkit for that.

11. ariban99

ariban99 Member

Thank you. Ill wait for the tutorial for centos 8 and then ill use the migrate tool

12. Norm Powroz

Norm Powroz New Member

I have just finished building a system based on CentOS 8.1 with the latest ISPConfig, and all the necessary support bits. I used the "Perfect Server CentOS 7.6" as a guide, and dealt with each thing that didn't work as I went on, keeping notes along the way. For example, you can't install getmail by simply doing "dnf install getmail" even if you enable EPEL, PowerTools or the REMI repositories. You have to download it from the developer's site and build it yourself.
    My server has PHP 7.4.6, Python2 and Python3, and the latest versions of getmail, jailkit, mod_python, phpMyAdmin, and roundcubemail. I used "Server with GUI" as the base CentOS install, since it's sometimes easier to work with a GUI rather than just the command line. However, the process will work perfectly with just the base server version, although you will need to install more things (a lot of stuff comes with the GUI version, so you get some freebies). The installation of ISPConfig3.1 went without error, so my next step is to get the ISPMigration Tool and move everything from my existing server over to the new one.
    I am completely willing to share my notes on the whole process if anyone wants to build a new server, or to contribute them to a new version of The Perfect Server.

Cheers
    Norm

ahrasis and pvanthony like this.
  13. pvanthony

pvanthony Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Your notes would be very useful. Please share your notes

14. Norm Powroz

Norm Powroz New Member

Here they are. I am quite willing to answer questions, but I will have to say that these come with no warranty ;)

Attached Files:

till and pvanthony like this.
  15. pvanthony

Thank you very much for sharing. Good stuff. Hopefully CentOS 8 will be supported officially soon.
    From the notes, it looks like not too much changes.

16. Norm Powroz

Norm Powroz New Member

When I started building the new server I was actually a little surprised by how many things didn't work in exactly the way documented in "The Perfect Server...CentOS 7.6". It basically became a situation of following along until something didn't work, and then figuring out how to get past that point.
    Usually, it was a case of typing "dnf install xxxxx" and then getting the error "No match for xxxxx". The solution would then be to figure out where that piece of code could be found, downloading it and building it locally. For any code that needed to be separately downloaded, according to the Perfect Server, I made the decision to check each version in case there was a newer release. That held true for PHP, roundcubemail, getmail, and various others. My attitude was "if I'm going to all this trouble, I want the latest and greatest of everything".
    This whole project actually started because I got a complaint about the version of PHP on my existing ISPConfig server when I tried to set up a new web site. That server was on CentOS 6.10 with PHP 5.6. I looked into installing PHP 7.x on the server and found out it couldn't be done. The only really good solution was to build a whole new server and then to move all the existing sites over. That's the next part of the project. (Keeping fingers crossed).
    Cheers

17. pvanthony

I have tried the migration tool by ispconfig and it is really good. Life saver for me.

till and ahrasis like this.
  18. Norm Powroz

Norm Powroz New Member

I echo your support for the migration tool -- it really does work as advertised, although I ran into a few issues about PHP versions with the tool. Downloading the latest and greatest version solved all of that, and it moved all my sites over perfectly, except for one that is based on Ruby on Rails. My new server didn't have all the Ruby support installed, so that's my fault, not the migration tool.

However, my new server is not based on CentOS 8 (sadly). I ran into various issues with getting ISPConfig working on it, so I ended up throwing in the towel. I built an interim server on CentOS 7.8, and put ISPConfig on that. Migration to it went swimmingly, and I then installed PHP 5.6 to deal with one or two sites that needed the older PHP, and that wouldn't work with version 7.2.

While ISPConfig 3.1.15p3 installed on the CentOS 8 server without complaint, I kept hitting issues such as it not finding web sites correctly. For example, I could set up a client and give that client a site named "www.domain.com", and deal with all the external DNS settings and firewall ports, but when I tried to go to "www.domain.com" the system would serve up the default site page, and not the page for my site, even though everything was properly in place. I don't know if it was an Apache configuration issue, a database problem, or some other configuration issue to translate "www.domain.com" into "/var/www/clients/client1/web1/web/...". I'm not an ISPConfig internals guru, nor do I know Apache by heart. I just know that it didn't work, and I ran out of time and patience to screw with it.

So, the solution, painful as it was, was to fall back on an interim system, and wait patiently for Till to finish his development and testing and to wait for the release of "The Perfect Server...CentOS 8.1...". I really needed support for a PHP version greater than 7, and everything I read told me that installing that on CentOS 6 was likely a no-go. Conversely, installing PHP 5.6 onto the new CentOS 7.8 server was a breeze, and with ISPConfig's support for multiple PHP versions I was easily able to assign the older version to one or two sites that needed it.

So, there you have it. I'm up and running, I've got a new server that handles old stuff and new, and things seem to be going swimmingly. Of course, having said that good old Murphy is probably waiting just around the corner...

pvanthony likes this.
  19. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

I'am running one CentOS 8 server already in a multiserver setup and a couple as a single server setup without any issues.
    I do wonder what went wrong when you've set up the server?

ahrasis likes this.
  20. Norm Powroz

Norm Powroz New Member

Hard to say. I may have missed something in the setup, so it could be a stupid finger-trouble type of error. As you know, to support ISPConfig on CentOS 8.1, there are a fair number of pieces that either need to be installed from third-party repositories or that have to be manually built from scratch. Maybe there was some configuration that was done automatically during a "yum install ..." action, but not by a "./configure; make; make install" type of installation. You'd think it should be pretty much the same, and I may be just blowing smoke, but all I know is that my final configuration doesn't seem to work the way I'd expect.
    I've been a developer long enough to know that problems are most likely caused by my own errors, so that's where the fault likely lies. Since I've got a nicely functioning 7.8 server running, I'm no longer in a huge rush, so I'll wait for the official CentOS 8.1 installation documentation. And of course then everyone will likely be wanting support for CentOS 9. ;)

ahrasis likes this.