I'm not getting any mail.

Discussion in 'General' started by heftigrat, Jan 12, 2006.

1. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

sent an email to one of my accounts to test over an hour ago, still nothing in my inbox checking both with Uebimiau and telnet 110. Any suggestions?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Anything related to this in your mail log? Does the MX record of the recipient domain point to your server?

3. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

The MX definitely points to a FQDN which resolves to the IP y.y.y.y ...

Code:
    Jan 12 15:15:12 myserver postfix/smtpd[19793]: connect from origin.server.dom[x.x.x.x]
    Jan 12 15:15:12 myserver postfix/smtpd[19793]: 2AEF2FC05F: client=origin.server.dom[x.x.x.x]
    Jan 12 15:15:12 myserver postfix/cleanup[19797]: 2AEF2FC05F: message-id=<000c01c617bd$3290dc50$870110ac@heftigratxp>
    Jan 12 15:15:12 myserver postfix/smtpd[19793]: disconnect from origin.server.dom[x.x.x.x]
    Jan 12 15:15:12 myserver postfix/smtpd[19793]: connect from unknown[10.57.3.57]
    Jan 12 15:15:12 myserver postfix/smtp[19798]: warning: host mydom.dom[y.y.y.y] greeted me with my own hostname myserver.mydom.dom
    Jan 12 15:15:12 myserver postfix/smtp[19798]: warning: host mydom.dom[y.y.y.y] replied to HELO/EHLO with my own hostname myserver.mydom.dom
    Jan 12 15:15:12 myserver postfix/smtp[19798]: 2AEF2FC05F: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=mydom.dom[y.y.y.y], delay=0, status=bounced (mail for myserver.mydom.dom loops back to myself)
    Jan 12 15:15:12 bismarck postfix/smtpd[19793]: disconnect from unknown[10.57.3.57]
    Jan 12 15:15:12 myserver postfix/cleanup[19797]: 689C1FC066: message-id=<[email protected]>

4. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Just a thought, should the Postfix server name be different than the ISPC server name? I just noticed that it _looks_ as though the problem occurrs when Postfix is attempting to relay from [email protected] to [email protected]. And yes, the domain is in fact the same in both cases. Let me try to make it more clear, if possible, it's confusing since I'm not using the actual name of my server...

I want to use, let's pretend, "hermes.heftigrat.net" as the server name mail will appear to originate from (postfix config). I set the ISPC server name as hermes as well. I also want to create email accounts at heftigrat.net, so I have "[email protected]". The username I create for POP3 and FTP access is "heftigrat.net-admin" because I don't like the "webX_user" format at all. Is this causing me a problem at all? Should I set the ISPC server name as something else? Thanks!

5. falko

Please put myserver.mydom.dom at the end of /etc/postfix/local-host-names (below the line where it says that you're allowed to make manual entries) and restart Postfix:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart

6. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Thanks it worked!!! (of course) But what's with the "localhost.myserver.mydom.dom.localdomain"? Isn't that redundant and wouldn't it result in "myserver.myserver.mydom.dom.mydom.dom"? Here's my current "/etc/postfix/local-host-names":

Code:
    ###################################
    #
    # ISPConfig local-host-names Configuration File
    #         Version 1.0
    #
    ###################################
    localhost
    myserver.mydom.dom.localdomain
    localhost.myserver.mydom.dom.localdomain
    localhost.mydom.dom.localdomain
    www.mydom.dom
    www.mydom.net
    mydom.dom
    mydom.net
    #### MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ####
    myserver.mydom.dom

7. falko

ISPConfig tries to put all possible localhost combinations into that file in order to cover all scenarios. It doesn't hurt, so I'd leave the file as it is. :)

8. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Meh, ok, I can live with that. Thanks again! :)