Important decision

Discussion in 'General' started by host, Nov 8, 2012.

1. host

host New Member

thanks for the work and the staff to be programmers but ispconfig3
    unfortunately it is not, at this time, suitable for my needs ....

I have 5 servers with debian 5 and ispconfig2, I need to update the debian version 6, you advise me to reinstall ispconfig2 or change the control panel?

there is someone who has changed the control panel? which panel has chosen?
    ispconfig2 some other security bugs?

time between when ispconfig2 will no longer be updated?

thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which problems do you have with ISPConfig 3? It has much more functions then version2, is installed at much more internet service providers already and is also capable of managing all your servers from one controlpanel.

All users that I heard of switched to ISPConfig 3.

ISPConfig 2 is already end of life for nearly 2 years, so there will be no updates released for it anymore. ISPConfig 2 works on Debian 6, but it will not work anymore on Debian 7 asthe apache 1.3which is used for the controlpanel on port 81 does not compile anymore on the latest glibc.

3. host

host New Member

Hi Till,
    thank you.

the functions that are important to me and lacking in ISPConfig 3 are:
    - By clicking on the customer know which domains are associated
    - At this moment the client with the domain does not appear to be linked
    - That when I create the domain is also automatically create the DNS
    - That when I enter in the panel as a customer, I already find the domain and does not have the ability to create other

these are the most important things that I noticed by testing

4. till

Thats implemented in ispconfig 3, just click on the "Login as client" Button in the client list to see all kind of records that the client has associated or use the domain module.

Thats wrong. A client is always linked to a website, see client selector in the site settings. It works the same way then in ispconfig 2. You can also further limit the domain to the client by using the domain module.

This is intended as ispconfig 3 is a modular controlpanel for larger ISP's which do not nescessarily host website and dns together. A wizard will be implemented in the next release to make the creation of website + dns possible in one step.

This function is implemented as part of the domain module, so if you want to use it, just activate it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. host

host New Member

Thats implemented in ispconfig 3, just click on the "Login as client" Button in the client list to see all kind of records that the client has associated or use the domain module.
    >>>> it is true, but this way of working is not good for me. With this way of working is good for providers who only offer web space and not to us who are also maintainer for domains (this is my way of seeing but also of my colleagues)

Thats wrong. A client is always linked to a website, see client selector in the site settings. It works the same way then in ispconfig 2. You can also further limit the domain to the client by using the domain module.
    >>>> this question was related to that of the first.

This is intended as ispconfig 3 is a modular controlpanel for larger ISP's which do not nescessarily host website and dns together. A wizard will be implemented in the next release to make the creation of website + dns possible in one step.
    >>>> I think it would be great to put a link on the page to create the domain that gives the possibility of creating the dns automatically, this would save time.

This function is implemented as part of the domain module, so if you want to use it, just activate it.
    >>>> I installed version 3.0.4.6 and this module can not find it

>>> Thank you

6. till

The domain module is not active by default as not everyone want to use it and this explains also your two first questions, if you had not enabled the module you can not expect to gets its functionality enabled in ispconfig.

Activate the domain module under System > Interface config and then enable it for the administrator under System > CP users. This is all ecplained in detail in the manual and also in several existing threads here in the forum.

7. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

I would love to, but you seem to have made it impossible. I cannot switch: I have to start again with a new server, setting up every user and every site by hand.

Using Port 81 was a disaster for me a long, long time ago. Many people had port 81 blocked at their office firewall. It was much easier to assign an IP address for ISPConfig and use the normal port.

Is there a way to install the latest ISPConfig 2 onto Debian 7 and not compile a special version of Apache?

8. till

ISPConfig 3 is a new software which has been developed from ground up to avaoid the wrong decisions that we had made with the ispconfig 2 system design. E.g. the use of system users for email and FTP. For that reason, ispconfig 3 was not compatible with ispconfig 2 and ispconfig 3 is not meant as an update fr ispconfig 2 and for the same reason, you can not migrate a server without recreating the sites and email accounts.

Never had a problem with port 81. But you could have used ay port you want, same with ispconfig 3.

ISPConfig 2 will not work on any current Linux distribution due to the old apache version as I described above.

9. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

Is there a reason why it can't use a standard, current, Apache distribution instead? It doesn't need to be recompiled to run on port 81 for my setup.