install to domainname or server1.domainname?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zaphod beeblebrox, Dec 19, 2015.

1. zaphod beeblebrox

zaphod beeblebrox New Member

Im a bit of a newb so I apologise in advance if my question is dumb.
    I have a .co.uk domain, lets call it mydomain.co.uk for simplicity.
    I followed the install guide here
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...l-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig/
    which went pretty well but I used mydomain.co.uk, not server1.mydomain.co.uk. I also set up my own nameservers with the global registry as ns1.mydomain.co.uk and ns2.mydomain.co.uk pointing towards the ip of my vps.

Now I have completed the install I realise that I want mydomain.co.uk to actually show a website in its own right.
    Should I reinstall ISPConfig3 to server1.mydomain.co.uk and add mydomain.co.uk as a website from within ispconfig3? If so how should I set up my hostname (server1.mydomain.co.uk or mydomain.co.uk?) on the server and also the dns records (i.e. namerservers should be ns1 and ns2.server1.mydomain.co.uk?).
    What I am trying to get to is a typical shared hosting provider set up with mydomain.co.uk as the shared web hosting provider website. Server1.mydomain.co.uk will be the admin interface for the shared hosting provider.
    Appreciate any guidance here, and apologies again for my newb experience.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no need to reinstall the server, just replace mydomain.co.uk with server1.mydomain.co.uk in the following files:

/etc/hosts
    /etc/hostname
    /etc/mailname
    /etc/postfix/main.cf

and restart the server. Afterwards, you can add mydomain.co.uk as website in ISPConfig.

bookert and zaphod beeblebrox like this.
  3. zaphod beeblebrox

zaphod beeblebrox New Member

Thanks very much. Worked like a treat.