Installation Instructions for ISPConfig 2

Discussion in 'General' started by qiubosu, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

thanks falko, i'm using ispconfig 3 at the moment. for using my hosting server as the primary nameserver and adding glue record in registrar and the other configuration in my hosting server and the registrar, are there any difference between ispconfig 2 and 3 or they are exactly the same?

2. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

is ispconfig 3.0.3 compatible with ubuntu server 10.04?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx-ispconfig-3

I don't know your registrar, but the idea behind this is always the same.

4. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

in ispconfig 3 manual, 4.6.1.2 Subdomain for website, there is below statement:

If you want to install a CMS in a directory of its own and use a subdomain for that directory, you should create a whole new web site for that subdomain and install the CMS in that web site.

can you give an example for this?

moreover, can ispconfig 3 hosts multiple CMS sites, just by registering multiple unique domains, not creating subdomains within ispconfig 3 control panel?

5. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

in ispconfig 3 control panel, when admin/reseller create a client, when admin/reseller/client create a website domain and the correspondent email addresses for this website domain, there should be an automatic email sent to the client specified email address with the login username and password for the control panel client login, webmail login etc. can ispconfig 3 control panel configure this and how?

6. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

my setup is with the same structure as the one you recommend, i.e. i only use one static IP address for the hosting server, say myhostingdomain.com. the primary nameserver is ns1.myhostingdomain.com and the secondary nameserver is the one the registrar provided.

one my question - to host the mywebsitedomain.com in the myhostingdomain.com server, in ispconfig 3 control panel, i create the site mywebsitedomain.com (there is a folder of mywebsitedomain.com in the website root directory /var/www). in ispconfig 3 control panel, do i need to create the site myhostingdomain.com in order to create the namesever ns1.myhosting domain.com? what is the difference between creating the myhostingdomain.com site or not creating it?

7. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

but in the /etc/resolv.conf, there is only one IP address (actually the modem's dynamic IP), but the nameservers in the Server Config require two IP addresses. is this ok?

8. falko

Use one nameserver from /etc/resolv.conf and fill in 8.8.8.8 in the second field (that's a Google nameserver).

9. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

for my above post, in ispconfig 3 control panel, if in the Web Domain page of the website created, select * for the IP-Address under the Domain tab, then the "Welcome ......" message shows when browsing the created site, while select the static IP (public) address, it doesn't.

the hosting server is behind a modem and router and gets a local IP address, e.g. 192.168.3.1. if in the System module in ispconfig 3 control panel, update the IP-Address for the Server to its local IP address, not the public IP address in the manual, then can get the "Welcome ......" message when browsing the site.

in all, it seems there is problem for the above.

10. falko

You must use one of the IP addresses that you see in the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    . If your server is in a local network, you must use a local IP address (e.g. 192.168.3.1), not your public IP address.

11. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hello falko,

i'm using the local IP for the hosting server now.

but in the sites -> websites -> web domain page for the mywebsitedomain.com domain, if select the local IP for the IP-Address field, both the myhostingdomain.com (no site created in ispconfig 3 control panel, no folder under /var/www) and mywebsitedomain.com (this site is created in ispconfig 3 control panel, its folder is under /var/www) can browse to "Welcome ......" page (the mywebsitedomain.com browses fine, but the myhostingdomain.com should browse to "It works! ......" page in this case). if select the * for the IP-Address field, the myhostingdomain.com browse to "It works! ......" page and mywebsitedomain.com browse to "Welcome ......" page. i think it should be - select the local IP for the IP-Address for the field, the myhostingdomain.com browse to "It works! ......" page and mywebsitedomain.com browse to "Welcome ......" page, but it is not the case for the ispconfig 3 at the moment.

that's why i ask the below quoted question before.

12. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

i only have one static IP address. the ispconfig 3 hosting server is using this IP address. i registered 2 domains, hostingdomain.com and websitedomain.com. server1.hostingdomain.com is the hostname for this hosting server. the primary nameserver is ns1.hostingdomain.com and the secondary nameserver is provided by the registrar. this is the setup of my hosting environment and the registered domains.

i want to host multiple drupal sites in this server. the hostingdomain.com is for the core drupal site and the websitedomain.com is for the 2nd drupal site shared the drupal core of hostingdomain.com.

is it able to achieve the above with ispconfig 3? how? it is much appreciated if you can provide some detailed information on this.

at the moment, the ispconfig 3 hosting server is up and running, the hostingdomain.com and websitedomain.com are created through the ispconfig 3 control panel. the drupal codebase was installed under /var/www/hostingdomain.com/web directory and this core drupal site installation is ok, can browse to this drupal site successfully. however when setup/configure the websitedomain.com through ispconfig 3 control panel to share the drupal codebase of hostingdomail.com, the drupal site installation doesn't work, while got a white blank page. By the way, i'm using the Ubuntu VM under Sun VirtualBoxfor this hosting environment.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

For security reasons you should not use a shared codebase. Install a new codebase for every site. Otherwise you would loose all websites if one site gets hacked.

14. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

hi till, security will be an always issue, not matter single codebase or multple installation. i will tackle the security for single codebase later. it is much appreciated if you can help with the previous question, even though it is a single codebase. i want to know whether this could be done and how. thanks.

15. till

By using a shared codebase you will have to disable the security functions. Otherwise you can not access the code from a second domain.

As ispconfig 2 uses mod_php by default, you should be able to access the code from other websites when you disable safemode in the website settings.

16. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

thanks till, actually i'm working on ispconfig 3, not ispconfig 2 (sorry for in the wrong forum category). to use the shared drupal codebase for multisites, how to disable security constraint when using ispconfig 3 control panel. by the way, for security in ispconfig 2, are you talking about PHP safemode?

17. till

Please make a new thread in the correct forum. ISPConfig 3 questions in a thread titled ispconfig 2 installation will only confuse other readers.

Yes.

18. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

godaddy is my registrar. for my domains registered there, the primary nameserver is with the same domain as my ispconfig hosting server and the secondary nameserver is from godaddy. but godaddy say the two nameservers cannot resolve to different servers, means my nameservers setup is wrong. they suggest me to use both of their nameservers or both of the third party nameservers that resolve to the same server. why? but from your previous reply to my question, my nameservers setup is correct. very confused. are there any standard way to setup nameservers or depends on the registrar?

19. till

I close this thread now to ensure that no other ispconfig 3 questions get posted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.