Installation to point of no return and back

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Net-Pet, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Net-Pet

Net-Pet New Member

I would like to install ISPconfig but on a system allready running with postfix and
    apache, it this possible to do this without I destroy current installation.

It would be really nice if I can try it out and just change the ports from maybe 81 to 80 for the new installed apache, and change the other tcp ports to something that not conflict a active installation.

Any hits ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is not recommended to install ISPConfig on a system that is already in use, because ISPConfig has to modify your apache configuration and websites with e.g. PHP that are in /var/www wont work anymore after the installation. They have to be copied in the new ISPConfig website directories before you can use them again.

Also ISPConfig does not install a new apache for your hosted websites, it will always use the apache that is already installed on your server.

Better try ISPCOnfig on another server or on a vmware or qemu installation on your desktop.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

:eek: Don't change the port from 81 to 80. ISPConfig has it's own Apache (used solely for the ISPConfig web interface) that's running on port 81, whereas the normal Apache is running on port 80 (that's the one you administrate by using ISPConfig). If you change ISPConfig Apache's port from 81 to 80, it will interfere with your normal Apache so that one of them won't be able to start...

4. benkong2

benkong2 New Member

5. SleeperZ

SleeperZ ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

If you have 2 ip addresses you can set them up to run on a seperate ip address without any problems.

I have done this and have ISPConfig on port 443 on 1 ip and apache running on another ip on 80 & 443. So far it seems to be working great.

6. falko

No, that's correct. ISPConfig's Apache is running on port 81, whereas the main Apache is running on port 80 (and maybe also 443 for SSL).

7. Net-Pet

Net-Pet New Member

OK I undertstand ispconfig uses it's own apache.

The current apache2 I have is not installed by rpm infact
    http://www.typo3-installer.de/ is used includes compilation of:

- APACHE 2.0.55
    - Typo3 3.8.0 + Testsite Package
    - MySQL 4.1.14
    - PHP 4.4.0
    - GD-2.0.33 (incl. GIF Support!)
    - libTiff-V3.7.4
    - gettext-0.14.5
    - zlib 1.2.3
    - PDFLib 5.0.4p1
    - Freetype 2.1.10

/usr/local/typo3/ is where my current apache is located and the websites are
    also located below this but I can move them to /var/www if needed anyway maybe my typo3 installation will complain about the php5.

I can also move the port used by my current apache installation from 80 to 8081 and let my firewall do portforward from public ip to 192.168.10:8081
    and let ispconfig handle another apache running on the same server.

I can backup my current configuration files - also but I just like to avoid downtime and make the installation of ispconfig but maybe it's more easy to use http://www.syscp.de but what like about ispconfig is that it also handle mail configuration/compilation etc.

Suggestion are welcome :)

8. falko

What's the exact question? :confused:

9. Net-Pet

Net-Pet New Member

:) Ok the question is howto install ISPconfig without breaking the current running installation of apache with php4

Maybe I should give it a try and not asking :eek:

10. falko

I'd make a backup of all important files before you install ISPConfig. You could also make an image of your current installation before you install ISPconfig. There's a howto aboout this: http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_linux_systemimager

Then, after you'e unpacked ISPConfig and before you run
    Code:
    ./setup
    , have a look at dist.txt and the files in the mod directory. As you have a non-standard Apache installation, you might have to adjust these files a little bit.