Instllation on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by Huskers06, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Huskers06

Huskers06 New Member

I did instillation on a VM Virtual Box it took a good hour to install. Why is that?
    Can you tell me more how what can I do on a Linux software. what Windows 11 can not do?
    Once I Install Linux on there what do you recommend me to do first?
    Can you tell me what are those different visions of Linux used for?

Thank You!!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I highly recommend to check out some Youtube videos about these question. There are loads of beginner guides and overviews for switching to linux and the basics in almost any language and almost always up to date. They even range from comapact 20min guides to full lenght 6 hour+ videos.

You could use Odysee if you prefer an open alternative to youtube.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  4. Huskers06

Huskers06 New Member

I am a college student at Central Community college in Hastings Nebraska I am going to get my Cyber Security Certification I'm taking a Linux Server class.

My question I am a Microsoft Windows Tech person. So i am not very formula at all with Linux. My question is what can you do with a Linux O/S. What types of Scripts do you need to write, to get Linux going? How Do you config a Linux file to run a command. Can you Config a Windows program to run Linux enoverment?

Thank You!!! =

5. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

First of the word Linux can mean separate things. The word "Linux" itself does refer to the kernel itself. But is commonly used to describe multi-user systems that are free(as in freedom not beer), unix-like, based on the Linux kernel and often use GNU software (although there alternatives, but the GNU Coreutils are the base of most "Linux" systems). There are all sorts of things you can do with it. Without making it to complex it can do anything a users expects a fairly modern operating system should do.

You can use it for a workstation or laptop instead of Microsofts Windows or Appels MacOS for fairly common tasks such as:
    Web Browsing, Email, Office Productivity, Multimedia, Gaming

It's strong for some other tasks which including but are not limited to:
    Programming and Development, System Administration, Data Science and Analysis, Security and Penetration Testing, Machine Learning and AI

And the most common use by far is in server systems around the world. Almost the whole Web- and Mail-traffic is based on servers that run linux. 90% of the worlds super computers run some form of Linux on them.

There are no "types of scripts" you need to write. And don't even really get what you are trying to say but i try to answer this anyways.
    We already talked about the aspect what the word "Linux" can mean. The next thing you might hear are "Distros". Distros are like flavors of ice cream, there are alot, people invent new ones every day, and there are some solid standards that almost everyone likes.
    Here are some quick details about some common Distros(note this is not order by anything):
    1. Ubuntu:
      • Ubuntu is one of the most widely used Linux distributions. It is known for its user-friendly approach, extensive software repository, and long-term support (LTS) releases. Ubuntu comes in different flavors, including the standard GNOME-based desktop and variants like Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (Xfce), and Lubuntu (LXQt).
    2. Fedora:
      • Fedora is a community-driven Linux distribution sponsored by Red Hat. It is known for its cutting-edge software and a commitment to open-source principles. Fedora Workstation is popular for desktop use, while Fedora Server is designed for server deployments.
    3. Debian:
      • Debian is a highly respected and stable Linux distribution known for its commitment to free software. It serves as the basis for many other distributions, including Ubuntu. Debian is often used for servers as it is tested quiet heavily
    4. Linux Mint:
      • Linux Mint is designed to be user-friendly and visually appealing. It's based on Ubuntu and provides a familiar desktop environment with the Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce desktops. Linux Mint is known for its emphasis on multimedia support and out-of-the-box functionality.
    5. Arch Linux:
      • Arch Linux is a minimalist and highly customizable distribution. It follows a rolling release model, meaning you receive the latest software updates regularly. Arch is favored by experienced users who want to build their systems from the ground up.
    6. openSUSE:
      • openSUSE offers both a stable, community-driven distribution (openSUSE Leap) and a rolling-release version (openSUSE Tumbleweed). It's known for its YaST configuration tool and flexibility in system management.
    7. Kali Linux:
      • Kali Linux is a specialized distribution for penetration testing, ethical hacking, and digital forensics. It includes a wide range of security tools and is favored by cybersecurity professionals and enthusiasts.
    So i order to use Linux, you first need to ask yourself the question "What work do i want to do with it?". And then decide on a flavor(e.g. distro) you want to use.

To install a distro on your workstation for example, you visit the website of the distro, download the latest ISO image and flash it to an USB drive (there are plenty of guides out there, that show in-depth on how to do this, so please do a internet search if you need more information)

Again this question is very weird, no offense. And i don't know what you even mean by the first part. If you meant to ask if it is possible to use Linux inside Windows then the answer is yes. There are 2 common ways to do this. One way is to use a virtual machine, a piece of software that allows you to run multiple guest operating systems on a single host (for example within Windows itself). A common free and open-source software to do this is virtual box.
    The second way of using Linux within Windows is the so called "Windows Subsystem Linux"(WSL2). It provides a fairly minimal Linux environment within Windows, with a few downsides compared to an virtual machine. But it is very liked by people that love the power of the Linux command line but have to use windows for one reason or another.
    Again there are loads of guides on the internet on how to set up either of these 2 options. So please do a quick internet search, as its already enough help out there.

Hope it helps and clears a few things up.

Taleman and Th0m like this.