Which version is best to use for a first time Linux User?

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by Martin Hernandez IV, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Martin Hernandez IV

Martin Hernandez IV New Member

I am a college student and currently going to school for Cybersecurity. So far, I have been exposed to CentOS and Ubuntu. My question is what is the best platform for a student who is new to Linux? I'm tending to get lost between all the variations. Your feedback would be very valuable to me! Much thanks

SKSumo, Nerdz and 30uke like this.
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Recent similar discussions:
    Going on, I plan just refer to this thread for questions about new to GNU/Linux.
    Asking what is best is not properly answerable if it is not specified what criteria is used for assessing bestness. I can not know which attributes are valued most. It could be price, ease of installation, documentation available, suitability for intrusion testing, etc.
    Choose one GNU/Linux distribution and stick to that. I have known distro shoppers, and advicing them is frustrating. I help the distro shopper set up the system, and next time we meet he has another Linux distribution with a different set of problems.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    Nerdz, Jesse Norell and ahrasis like this.
  3. Martin Hernandez IV

Martin Hernandez IV New Member

Thank you Taleman! You responded to me and several of my classmates! we look forward to learning more about Linux & Ubuntu

4. Taleman

It just occurred to me the new users to this forum may not know how to search for existing answers.
    To find related threads on this forum, use Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
    site:howtoforge.com new linux user

5. Taleman

Wondering which command to use? Try
    Code:
    apropos keyword
    replacing keyword with a suitable search term.

6. Taleman

If you want ls to show only subdirectories of current working directory, try this:
    Code:
    $ ls -ldh */.

7. Taleman

Could you tell the instructror of your course to create a forum for his/her students to practice using forums on? I feel it is not proper to use a forum that tens of thousands of people use just so course participants can practice posting on forums. If lots of courses start doing the same this forum becomes unusable.

Cameron McCarty likes this.
  8. Taleman

Q: relationship between MS-DOS and Linux
    Using Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
    msdos unix
    finds among others this as first entry after advertisements: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-key-differences-between-Unix-and-MS-DOS?share=1
    Search Engines with
    Code:
    linux msdos similar commands
    find this cheetsheet:
    http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/redhat/redhat6.2/gsg-62/ch-doslinux.html
    Linux commands originated in Unix a long time ago. Developers had teletype https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleprinter terminals, and there it was an advantage if commands where short, there was less to type.

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

For a reference on commonly used Linux commands with examples of their usage, have a look here:

https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-commands/

And regarding Linux distributions, stay with the widely used Distributions:

For Desktop use:
    • Ubuntu Linux and it's derivates like Linux Mint, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu
    • Fedora
    For Server use:
    • Debian
    • Ubuntu
    • CentOS
    The Distributions for server use can be used as desktop too and I named just a few, there are many more.

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

And one more thing that @Taleman suggested already, learn how to use search engines. You can solve almost every Linux problem by searching for it. I'm using Linux for more than 20 years now professionally and I still use search engines daily to solve Linux problems or questions that I have not come across yet. Searchng for a problem on the internet is also way faster than posting in a Forum to ask for help, as you get the asner to your question instantly when you search for it plus you probably get different opinions on the same topic while you would have to wait for an answer in a forum and you may not even get an answer in a forum all questions are always answered.

30uke, ahrasis and Th0m like this.
  11. Taleman

See top of this page on navigation bar, "Linux Commands".
    Another way is using command
    Code:
    ls /usr/bin
    That "Linux Commands" list has description of each command.
    Another way is using command man with command name as parameter. For example
    Code:
    man apropos

12. Taleman

Using Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
    good tutorials or guides for vim
    finds several.
    Also, fix the punctutation keys on your keyboard.

13. Taleman

Not all commands, there are hundreds of commands.
    Memorize these first: man, apropos, cd, ls, less, mv, rm, mkdir, editor, rmdir, chown, chmod, kill, ps, tail, grep, locate, find.
    I tried to list them in order of usefullness or frequency of use.
    On how to find info on those commands, read this thread from the beginning.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  14. Taleman

@doxdoxbox wrote:
    Use the file system the installer offers by default. When you have learned the differences between the file systems and know requirements you place for a file system you can choose a suitable file system.
    If you want info about file systems, Internet Search Engines are your friend. Wikipedia is ofter useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system
    Impossible to say not knowing what criteria you use for evaluating bestness. For what purpose would this file system be used, for example?
    You are pretty much stuck. Some file systems can be changed in place to something else, but this is the exception. If it really is necessary to get another file system, what works is backup all the files, create on that disk partition the new desired file system (this destroys old contents of partition) and then restore the files from backup to the new file system.

15. Taleman

16. Taleman

if you need to know
    type the question in Internet Search Engines.

17. Taleman

18. Taleman

19. poisk-ls

poisk-ls New Member

I run man apropos in my terminal then see the jpg bro.. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Taleman

Since Howtoforge Forum lacks a "good conduct" -guide, here are links to guides on how to behave when starting to use a Forum (any forum, good behaviour works everywhere):
    Since the helpful person reading your guestion has limited knowledge of the problem, knowing only the information that is included in the question, it does help if question is readable and informative. Guide on how to ask a good question:
    Good guides exist in the Internet, search engines can find more of them.