Integrate Webmail Front-End with Postfix virtual user setup with ubuntu

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by sicnarf, Aug 4, 2007.

1. sicnarf

sicnarf New Member

Hi all,

I would just like to know if anyone has been able to integrate openwebmail with with the postfix virtual users setup in ubuntu. I've read about roundcube and squirrelmail with ISPConfig but I haven't got them to work yet. I'm looking at openwebmail so that I won't have any additional problems migrating to a new server while still letting users use the familiar openwebmail interface. Any help appreciated.

I am referring to this howto:
    Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (+ SMTP-AUTH, Quota, SpamAssassin, ClamAV)

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I've heard that Squirrelmail works quite well with this tutorial.

BTW: this setup (virtual users) is not compatible with ISPConfig.

3. sicnarf

sicnarf New Member

Howto for integrating squirrelmail with postfix virtual user setup

Hello falko,

Thanks for the reply. Can you point me to some guides on how to accomplish integrating squirrelmail with this? Any help will be appreciated. I'm trying to get roundcube working now with ISPConfig, but if ISPConfig won't work then I guess i'll just have to start from scratch again with a fresh install. :)

Sicnarf

4. geekman

geekman New Member

Squirrelmail on ubuntu is pretty easy, just use apt-get to install it. It's quite straight forward if you're installing it on the same box as the mailserver, IIRC it even configures itself. It was only when I tried to install it to work with the mailserver on another server that it decided to play up, even after if configured it, it just didn't want to authenticate IIRC. I know i'd be happy to watch this thread and help out where I can, i'd i'm sure others, falko for example, would be able to handle any problems you might run into.

Thanks.

5. sicnarf

sicnarf New Member

Thanks for the reply...

Hello geekman,

Thank you for the reply. I'm happy to know that it's just that easy on ubuntu. My only hesitation is that I'm using the virtual user setup with postfix. Have you tried it with this? I'm going to setup a new vmware vitual machine to test this out. If you know it won't work with the virtual users setup then you will definitely save me a lot of time. :D

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The webmail frontends work with any type of setup as long as it provides a imap server, which is the case in the virtual setup.

7. geekman

geekman New Member

I am using the exact same setup as you, except with my mysql database server seperated from my mailserver. ;)

8. sicnarf

sicnarf New Member

2 webmail frontends using one server.

Thanks till and geekman. I'm already in the process of integrating roundcube with the postfix virtual setup. If I get it right, I will post what I have done so that others can make it work also.

Another question, has anyone tried two webmail frontends on one server? The scenario I'm thinking about is both roundcube and openwebmail on the same server for testing purposes. I'm trying to evaluate openwebmail and roundcube as frontends for this new mail server i'm planning to deploy.

Thanks.

sicnarf

9. geekman

geekman New Member

10. sicnarf

sicnarf New Member

Successful Integration of Rouncube Wemail Front-end with Postfix virtual user setup

Hi All,

It's been around a month or so that you haven't heard from me. Sorry for that, I'm also a teacher and teaching takes up most of my time.

Anyway, I would just like to report to you that I have successfully integrated rouncube webmail front-end with the postfix virtual users on ukbuntu 7.04. If I have some time when the semester ends in around 8 weeks time, I will write a howto for it. Nothing fancy actually, just integrated the two tables from the scripts and that was it.

sicnarf.