Interactive Installer and other ideas.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Spum, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Spum

Spum New Member

Well, hi there everyone.

I've been experimenting with making some form of "install" script, which you can interactively do "y/n" as to what packages you want, then makes them according to what you specified..

Anyways, seems to work okay, i'm just using a simple menu-type bash script to ask which packages are needed, then it makes them all fine. Now, i was getting to thinking of some more ideas, ifthese are already in there, by all means just slap me :D

So, these are the ideas i was thinking.

1) Automatic script for getting packages? Would make it a lot easier to ensure that the latest version was got.. But, i guess it's hard if you're integrating them all based off an API in one ...

2) More scalable.. like Instead of just 4 accounts (email, reseller, admin, client) - some form of permissions system like drupal has, and the ability to create user groups / types, this is good paticularly if you want to engineer to "special" customers.

3) Support for PostgreSQL / Firebird / others. I know you probably will slap me for sugegsting it, but i'm sure i could add it into the PHP frontend for you, i've got experience in that area, so i'd love to add the feature for PostgreSQL , because i prefer that over MySQL :)

4) Packages - ? Like, you can specify packages of certain types (eg -> limits for MySQL / PostgreSQL, bandwidth, space, etc) so , say i make "basic plan", i can just click "add new user" -> "basic plan" and BANG!

5) Paypal Integration - I knopw Paypal has an API for it, so, again - i could do it for you if you like it'd be a neat automated feature! :D

More to come, i think *shields from all the hails of bullets*

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

BANG! :p
    Just kidding ;) , your proposals are most welcome here!

3. Spum

Spum New Member

also, i had an other idea for some form of add on, which is a thing similar to fantastico, which is an installer for various web apps, like phpbb, Drupal, and other neat things.

Like i said before, i would love to work on ISPconfig, i've done hosting for a few years and would like to make it a better product than cPanel, because that totally fries my barncakes!

Anyways, i'd love to help, i've got experience in bash, PHP and C/C++ so, yeah! :D

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you send an email to dev [at] ispconfig [dot] org and received your SVN account already?

Your points are all going in the same direction that I am thinking of for a while. I will try to make a Roadmap for ISPConfig and post them to the forum for further discussion.

One major point that we should look at is to make the installer more forgiving. E.g that the installer asks again if a entered value is incorrect instead of stopping the installation process and that the files from the installer directory are copied (cp) and not moved (mv) to their destination directories. Then it will be not nescessary anymore to unpack the installer tar.gz again if the prior installation attempt has failed.

Maybe you may have look at the installer?

I've added your forum user to the development group so you may post to the Devel forum too.

5. Spum

Spum New Member

Sure

Hey, sure i will look at the installer! I also had another idea; there's a lot of quite good projects out there which are working on a cross-platform installer, like spoon Installer, and others..

I mean, if they get better in the next few months or so, it looks like a serious possibility because they are getting better and better, and would be quite neat to have them execute whatever you want, make and whatnot in one go.

So, anyways -> I'll look into it now, i've got an hour or so of free time, so i will take a look! same goes for a bit of cleanup within the PHP code :)