Intermittent email connection problems after renaming server

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by I90cj7, Aug 18, 2018.

  1. I90cj7

    I90cj7 New Member

    My fictitious server name ( was being blocked so I renamed my ispconfig3 server by changing the following to

    then run:

    /etc/init.d/hostname restart
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart

    Since then sometimes my email client reports, "connection error" and "failed downloading message" and it may take up to 30 minutes to receive an email. Additionally in the message headers I can see a domain name listed of a domain that I am hosting, ""
    X-Apparently-To: [email protected]; Sat, 18 Aug 2018 17:53:07 +0000
    Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    Received-SPF: none (domain of does not designate permitted sender hosts)
    X-YMailISG: YgZxvZ4WLDukg1YuzzxUDH6OVnqheysFBh.clOdD.7hT9u2R
    X-Originating-IP: []
    Authentication-Results:; domainkeys=neutral (no sig);; dkim=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from (EHLO (
    by with SMTPS; Sat, 18 Aug 2018 17:53:06 +0000
    Received: from localhost (localhost [])
    by (Postfix) with ESMTP id 260D6223067
    for <[email protected]>; Sat, 18 Aug 2018 13:53:06 -0400 (EDT)
    X-Virus-Scanned: Debian amavisd-new at
    Received: from ([])
    by localhost ( []) (amavisd-new, port 10026)
    with ESMTP id 121Rs7-l4NlD for <[email protected]>;
    Sat, 18 Aug 2018 13:53:05 -0400 (EDT)
    Received: from TBIlaptop (unknown [])
    (Authenticated sender: [email protected])
    by (Postfix) with ESMTPA id B7D53221D24
    for <[email protected]>; Sat, 18 Aug 2018 13:53:05 -0400 (EDT)
    From: "Victorian Doucette" <[email protected]>
    To: <[email protected]>
    Subject: headers
    Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 13:53:03 -040
  2. I90cj7

    I90cj7 New Member

    To hopefully make my post clearer.
    I sent the test message above from my ISPConfig3 hosted domain ( on the server that was renamed ( to my yahoo account.
    In the headers it mentions that the message is received from another hosted domain's ( email host on the renamed server in addition to the renamed server ( The other domain that should not be appearing ( is taking the new host name (server1) and adding its mail host name ( Since I am not sending email from (, maybe the Postfix is not correct. However, the server name was never so I am lost. Please help. Hopefully this is more clear than mud. Thanks
  3. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    When you rename a mail server, then the name has to be changed in these files:


    Then you will have to adjust the reverse DNS record of the server IP and finally reboot the server.
  4. I90cj7

    I90cj7 New Member

    Thanks for the reply Till. I changed those files when I did the rename. Is there something else to check?

    Why would the wrong mail server name show up in message headers?
    Received: from ([]) (THIS IS THE MAIL SERVER)
    by localhost ( [] (THIS IS A HOSTED DOMAIN)
  5. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    You can search for the old name with:

    grep -r /etc/

    files with ~ at the end can be ignored, they are backups of config files.
  6. I90cj7

    I90cj7 New Member

    Thanks Till. I found the reference in /etc/amavis/conf.d/05-node_id and changed it.
    I didn't have reverse dns setup before with a totally fake/unregistered domain name of "" and mail for all hosted accounts was delivered in seconds.
    On the day that I renamed the host to a registered/unhosted domain, the email is 5-30min to deliver and sometimes the client connection is refused.
    My firewall rules aren't stopping pop3, imap or smtp to the server address.
  7. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    DNS is really setup properly for the domain and you might want to take a look into the mail.log if there are any further errors.

Share This Page