inverse zone

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sulfuric, Jan 26, 2006.

1. sulfuric

sulfuric ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I try to make a reverse zone for BIND in order to have my dns server, but If i have nslookup to mi ip for resolve zones it give this 62.14.89.137.inversas.jazztel.es JAZZTEL is my isp for internet adsl dynamic ip conexion. Mi question my ISP haves reverse zoner for my IP?? How can i change this, I should be talk with they? or isn't inportant, if I make reverse zone in my computer, this works??

I have ubuntu perfect setup to the letter, I have a register domain.tld for tecnical issues pointed with A reg ns1.domain.tdl and ns2.domain.tld to mu ip.

THANKS.

2. Traxus

Traxus New Member

Hi. 2 related topics about reverse DNS records for you to read:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1939
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2028

In short, the owner of the IP range block (in your case your ISP) should generaly be the one having this reverse record on his DNS.

I am with my private ADSL line in the same situation. I got a static IP address from my provider, but they also have a domain bond to it and a reverse record. So when I trace the IP to the domain name, I get theirs, not mine. If I would want that to change, I would have to make an arangement with my ISP.

3. sulfuric

It's impossible??

If can't talk with my isp of adsl it's impossible make my own DNS server for internet?? Someone now a how to with dyndns or zoneedit of a combination of this servers?? Thanks

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you want to run your own DNS servers with ISPConfig, have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6292&postcount=4

If you want to change the reverse DNS record, then Traxus is right.

5. sulfuric

I made this!! but when i go to my registrer to change dns of someone of my registered dominds then i have an error Isn't valid dns server (ex: ns5.hostmu.com and ns6.hostmu.com are invalid) why??

6. Traxus

Traxus New Member

Hm, ns5.hostmu.com and ns6.hostmu.com are not your nameservers, but nameservers of a domain hoster on Mauritius, so I do not understand what you asked in this post. Can you be more specific?

If you run your own DNS server you likely will not assign the addresses of their servers to your domain?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please do not use my name servers!!!
    Can you post a screenshot of what you did?

8. sulfuric

JEJE It's an example.

I have a domind registered for tecnichal issues, it's grupaprop.com, in my zone in zoneedit of this i have ns1.grupaprop.com point to my ip and ns2.grupaprop.com point to my ip

| Edit Zone | User Options | Account Info | Add Zones | Help |
    View | IP addresses (A) | Mail Servers (MX) | Aliases (CNAME) | Advanced
    Configure SOA | WebForward™ | MailForward™ | WebPark™ | Hide FAQ
    Free Web Hosting: Free hosting with CGI and FTP support for your domain.
    Choose zone
    grupaprop.com

View "grupaprop.com"
    IP Addresses: Domain Name IP Address
    ns1.grupaprop.com 62.14.89.137
    ns2.grupaprop.com 62.14.89.137

Mail Servers:

WebForwards:

MailForwards:

WebPark™:

Nameservers:
    ns2.zoneedit.com 69.72.158.226
    ns3.zoneedit.com 66.180.174.61
    Advanced Settings
    View Service Usage Log
    Bulk Change DNS Records
    FAQ
    How do I get started?
    When do my changes take effect?

(C) 1999-2006 ZoneEdit, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Then go to my register xartra and i try to change Dns autoritative for my dominds dns1.xartra.com and dns2.xartra.com for my dns ns1.grupaprop.com ns2.grupaprop.com and they told my it's an invalid name server... Why?? it's my IP invalid 62.14.89.137 ??? it's mine........Thanks a lot

9. Traxus

Traxus New Member

To my knowledge its not permitted to have both DNS on the same IP address. I sugest you pick a free DNS service (like this one: http://www.everydns.net/), and use their DNS as secondary in a slave setup. That should fix your problem: Make a username on everydns, assign your DNS and the everydns DNS to your domain, wait half a day or so, then login to the everydns interface and create a slave setup for your domain, assigning your DNS as master.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

At least its not recommended. As far as i know godaddy is not that strict. But to use a free secondary dns provider is the better solution.

11. sulfuric

Thanks

Thanks a lot you resolve my problems?? i don't know this!! :p, I made a better traduction of clients manual than the manual in ispconf web to Spanish, I'm spanish, If you like it's for your project, where can i send it?? thanks.

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please send your translations to dev [at] ispconfig [dot] org and we will made them available on the ISPConfig homepage.