iPhone Mail Client sending email ISPConfig "Relay access denied;"

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Toysoft, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Toysoft

Toysoft New Member

Hello,
    I first would like to congratulate you with the excellent software you built on the past years, the ISPConfig. I really find it nice compared with the BlueQuartz GUI I was using previously. Very intuitive and easy.

I have a problem, I setup a cheap server with CentOS and the IPSConfig v3, that went fine for the installation (with some little twists as the tutorial wasn't at the best, but I passed these little problems).

I am able to use my Thunderbird to send emails thru the ISPConfig (PostFix/Dovecot), and these go find.

But when I send thru the iPhone or my friend apple email client I am getting the Relay error.

Code:
    Dec 12 14:16:38 localhost postfix/smtpd[27704]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from xx.xx.xx.xx[xx.xx.xx.xx]: 454 4.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<[xx.xx.xx.xx]>
    When I send with Thunderbird, it does the authentication and then the email is authorized to be sent by the server.

How can I fix the issue I have with his email sending with iPhone/Mac ?

Thank you,

TS

P.S.: A trick would be to set the iPhone to the do the Authentication as explained on the web page below. It works for me, but does there is a way to not be forced to do so ?

Code:
    https://www.saratogahosting.com/hd/kb/article/email-accounts-and-forwarders/email-on-mobile-phones/enabling-smtp-authentication-on-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Every email client that shall be able to send email has to authenticate itself, if the server would not require authentications for sending, then every spammer would be able to misuse your server as spam relay. That's not ispconfig specific, it applies to every mail server. So enabling authentication in an email client is normal and has to be done in every mail client, no matter what software or OS you are using.

3. Toysoft

Toysoft New Member

Thank you a lot for your reply.

I am used by the BlueQuartz, or Sun/Cobalt GUI, to setup and do the same as with your ISPConfig.

On BlueQuarz/Cobalt, it's possible to set a list where you can enable IP or network IPs, or domains to send emails as well. It's handy and useful, you don't open it to all the Web pirates/Spammers, but still can open it for example to your home Fixed IP... that nobody can misuse, but still is a good way.

Do you have such way on your ISPConfig ? This is that behavior I was seeking, and thought that was clever to be used in very particular cases (as exactly the case of a Fixe IP address at home or office)...

TS

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Add the IP address to the mynetworks line in /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart postfix.