ISP Config as mailserver

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by roberto8080, Aug 23, 2005.

1. roberto8080

roberto8080 New Member

I want to use ISPConfig just a mail server for some sites.

For example mysite1.com has the web and mail server in Server1, mysite2.com has the web server in Server2 and the mailserver in Server1, I have another machine working as DNS, but I see that ISPConfig has its own DNS.

How should I configure ISPConfig to act as mailserver for some sites and as web/mail server for others? Should I configure both DNS?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You don't need to use the DNS Manager if youalready have DNS servers. It's just an option.
    Now create your web sites both on the web server and on the mail server. In the web server ISPConfig you select "External Mailserver" under Options and Co-Domains for all the domains of that web site. That's it. :)

3. roberto8080

roberto8080 New Member

Thanks, let me try it.

4. roberto8080

roberto8080 New Member

It seems to work, partially. Let me explain.

* We have three boxes: One Windows 2003 Server hosting most of web servers using ASP, another Win2003S hosting the DNS and now one box with ISPConfig which is going to be the mailserver for the domains in the other boxes. The name of the Linux box with ISPConfig is mydomain1.com

* First case: We wanted to host mydomain1.com (web and mail in the Linux box where ISPConfig is installed) and redirect web trafic from this domain to mydomain2.com, it suceeded. I just created a site with domain1.com, and added a directive "Redirect / mydomain2.com". Then I created a mail account [email protected]. I can check the account from Thunderbird and web with no problems and the web only redirects.

* We wanted to add domain3.com, this time web in the Win2003S and mail in the Linux machine with ISPConfig. This didn't work. I added a site mydomain3.com and created a sample account [email protected], I have no access to the DNS directly but the webadmin told me that configured web to the ip of the Win2003S and mail exchanger to my Linux box with ISPConfig. Unfortunately when I send a mail to [email protected] it is bounced back, and says that the account does not exist.

Any suggestion? I haven't set up a mail server before and everything went almost smoothly (thanks by the way) until now, but I think that I have achieved most of the task :D, I just need to finish it.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you checked the logs on the linux server, that the mail is really bounced by this server?

Have you set domain3.com in the site settings on the tab options and for the co-domains to local mailserver?

Is domain3.com in /etc/postfix/local-host-names?

Is the email address listed in the postfix virtusertable?

6. roberto8080

roberto8080 New Member

After checking the logs it seems that I'm not getting the mails after all, the DNS simply points to another machine (the one with IIS).

In fact I tried to verify the records externally (using http://www.dnswatch.info) and there are no MX records for my domain3.com, I'm going to try to solve it in the Windows 2003 Server DNS.