ISPCFG3 and external logging via loggly

Discussion in 'General' started by Ovidiu, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Anyone using this combination?
    The general rsyslogs are working fine but I was looking at sending my nginx logs over and they advise to create a /etc/rsyslog.d/21-nginx-loggly.conf which in turn points to /var/log/nginx/ which unfortunately does not contain every hosted site's logs.

Any advice how to do this?
    Any other preferred external logging system except loggly?
    Initially I gave papertrail a try and was really happy but its free plan is way too limited so I found loggly.
    I wouldn't mind an open-source self hosted external logging solution but everything I googled seemed either too expensive or I couldn't find any tutorials.

2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Did you change access_log for your websites from file to syslog?

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

no I haven't changed anything. I just read the how-to by loggly which I explained above and which is monitoring /var/log/nginx/ but ISPCFG3 apparently stores each websites nginx logs inside /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/siteX/ so if I follow loggly's instructions I need to create one such config file for each website?

4. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi, what are you trying to log, ie what do you want out of it, reports?? showing what??? The reason I ask is that there are a few free commercial products you can try. HP ArcSight Logger software is free http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/siem-data-collection-log-management-platform/index.html and you can do something like 250MB a day with the free license which should be enough for website traffic. There is also a free license for Splunk as well which can give you some pretty good analysis.

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

To be honest, I started by finding papertrail, I just loved the ease with which you can have a tail running in a web browser and filter it to quickly find stuff. BUT their free plan only covers 100MB / month which is definitely too little for my needs :-(

I then researched for competitive products and found loggly which does so much more.

I am currently running/testing my own installation of graylog, seems to do everything loggly does but self-hosted.

Which kinda makes my question moot as each product has a different way to add app logs.