ISPConfig 3.0.0.5 Beta Released

Discussion in 'General' started by till, Jun 10, 2008.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The error says that mydns tries to connect with the IP 86.110.225.80 and not the hostname, this will result in this error. You must enter the hostname of the mysql server when you install ISPConfig and not the IP address of the server. A reinstallation of the server is not needed.

2. Snowman

Snowman Member

i noticed that in /etc/mydns.conf is :

db-host = prd.sk # SQL server hostname
    db-user = ispconfig # SQL server username
    db-password = password # SQL server password
    database = dbispconfig # MyDNS database name

why the host is prd.sk ? It should be ns.prd.sk , because i dont want to have records in mysql of prf.sk (frontend), but on the ns.prd.sk (DNS node).
    Am I right ?

This probably causes error in installation :
    mydns[7818]: Error connecting to MySQL server at prd.sk: Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'86.110.225.80' (using password: YES) (errno=0)

3. till

No. The database server is the frontend, so you must enter the hostname of the database server of the frontend and not the hostname of the nameserver itself. Remember that this server shall join the frontend server, so you must enter the hostname of the frontend server as database server.

4. Snowman

Snowman Member

MySQL server hostname [localhost]: prd.sk
    MySQL root username [root]:
    MySQL root password []: password
    MySQL database to create [dbispconfig]:

prd.sk its there

5. Snowman

Snowman Member

Sorry but I think we dont understand eachother.
    I try to explain situation as simple as it can be explained.:)
    so :
    1/ we have 2 servers : a) DNS server node (ns.prd.sk - 86.110.225.80) b) frontend server node (prd.sk - 81.89.49.123)

we want to join ns.prd.sk to prd.sk ispconfig.
    We normally install Standard installation on frontend server node (prd.sk), then we select Expert mode installation on DNS server node (ns.prd.sk).

Every node have /etc/hosts like this :
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    86.110.225.80 ns.prd.sk ns
    81.89.49.123 prd.sk

Node 1: (frontend server node - prd.sk)
    Standard installation
    MySQL server hostname [localhost]: localhost ----> hostname
    MySQL root username [root]: root
    MySQL root password []: mysqlpassword
    MySQL database to create [dbispconfig]: dbispconfig
    Create a new database? (We do not want to join a existing ISPConfig server setup) (y,n) [y]: y
    .. with ISPConfig istallation : y .

Node 2: (DNS server node - ns.prd.sk)
    Expert installation
    MySQL server hostname [localhost]: prd.sk ----> hostname
    MySQL root username [root]: root
    MySQL root password []: mysqlpassword
    MySQL database to create [dbispconfig]: dbispconfig
    Create a new database? (We do not want to join a existing ISPConfig server setup) (y,n) [y]: n
    .. we only select "y" at "Configure DNS Server (y,n)" question.

Am I right ? After this setup everything should be OK. I think this is base of our discussion.
    Thanks (very very very :) ) for help.

Snowman

6. till

Yes, this should work. I just tried it again on my test server and it works for me. Please double check that ns.prd.sk is listed in the /etc/hosts file of the server prd.sk and that prd.sk is listed in the hosts file of ns.prd.sk.

7. Snowman

Snowman Member

Thank you. I will try to reinstall it whole and install it how I described upper.
    Let you know.

Nice day,
    Snow

8. Snowman

Snowman Member

Dear Till,
    everything is clear to me now but :) i have some questions ..

mysql comunication between nodes .. its plain text ?
    as I know default apt-get install mysql does not support ssl.

password for user ispconfig is generated or it is same for all nodes and users ?
    (Just want to be sure)

when I Expert install ns.prd.sk and join it to front end server /etc/mydns.conf is rewriten : user is ispconfig and db is dbispconfig on mysql server (hosted by frontend server)
    So i have an ns.prd.sk DNS server which is connected through mysql to database on frontendserver. What will happen when i turn off mysql of frontend server? Will DNS server be able to run and distribute records of domains ?

9. till

To get SSL support, you will have to recompile Mysql.

No. Every node gets its own login.

If you shut down the mysql server, the dns server will go offline too. To avoid this, you can use mysql master > slave replication. Configure a slaver server on the dns node and then change the mydns.conf file to connsct to the local slave server. The nodes that do not run a frontend need just read only access to the database.

10. Snowman

Snowman Member

I hoped multiserver management in Ispconfig 3 is focused to avoid the server failitures and damages. It doesnt make no sense to devide DNS server from frontend server because now you cant prevent any failiture.
    When DNS server will be as service down. DNS record will not be distributed.
    When Frontend server will be down also DNS record will not be distributed.

Dont you think it will be great if DNS server will be devided from frontend as database but it can be managed from frontend.
    I hope we understand each other .. my eng. is not good as i want to :).

Have a nice day,
    Snowman

11. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I think Snowman is absolutely right. But that's always the thing with this DB supported stuff.
    If I take a look at "enterprise" DNS solutions like Vital QIP from Lucent, the also manage their core data in a database but generate the bind configfiles based on that.

So it would sense here to either change the dns implementation or make it mandatory for services splitted off from the frontend that require the database to automatically configure a slave DB there as well.

12. till

It is absolutely fault tolerant if you configure mysql accordingly. Thats all a question of system configuration. ISPConfig is just a contral panel, the overall system is a s good as the base services are installed.

This is possible with ispconfig as well, just someone had to write a plugin for ispconfig to support bind too.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  13. till

Please read my full post, its absolutely fault tolerant. It just does not make sense to write the same function again that is already included in mysql. You will just have to configure your server correctly for fault tolerance.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  14. till

By the way, there is also one additional function in ispconfig that might be used for fault tolerance, the datalog. It allows the replication of every database change that is made in the interface for selected database tables to other databases. But this feature has not been tested that much and it does not run via cron yet.

15. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I will get back one that after my holiday on thinking about writing a plugin for bind support.
    Are there already any docs for the plugin API, so maybe I may take a look on that already during my holiday ;)

16. Snowman

Snowman Member

I hope you are not angry to me, I like ispconfig as much as i can :) for me its super and helpfull its great panel.
    I just wanted to test ISPC3. But I hope there will be mysql SSL support in howto install file included. Because without it ISPC3 will not be secure as it is until now.(I want to test it and recompile mysql to support ssl,I can add it to HOWTOINSTALL then or write how to for howtoforge)

17. karailiev

karailiev New Member

Hi all!
    I'm testing ISP Config 2.2.23 at the moment.
    As I see it will be hard to upgrade working server to 3.x, so I might wait until stable 3.x version is released.
    Are there any plans when this will be?
    Is anywhere a list of the 3.x specs or differences with 2.x?

Thank you.

18. till

Not at all :)

I will try to research on how to recompile the packages with SSL in a proper way for debian and add it to the installation instructions. If you have any success with it, please post the steps that you used to recompile it.

19. till

There is no fixed release date yet. But the code is relatively stable already, so it wont tkae that long anymore.

No, nothing except the several posts here in different forum threads.

20. karailiev

karailiev New Member

I'm reading the install instructions for version 3 on Debian ant it says

Is this the only supported webmail?