ISPConfig 3.1 test on centos 7.2

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by NRP, Sep 6, 2016.

1. NRP

NRP New Member

Hi all,
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, i am very new with ISPConfig.
    I have ISPConfig running on Centos7 (version 3.0) without issues. not much load as it's just a bit of personal fun and exploration at the moment. the feature set is great and i'll at the very least buy the manual and support as well as i can (i'm not fishing for special treatment i'm just really amazed with it and having a lot of fun)

Now the reason for the post, i was trying to install ISPConfig 3.1 on a fresh Centos7.2
    (following: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...ql-php-pureftpd-postfix-dovecot-and-ispconfig)
    and i always get the message:
    [...]
    [WARN] autodetect for Mailman failed
    Force configure Mailman (y,n) [n]:
    [...]

Earlier i had a same message with postgrey and installing the service cleared it, dumping db and restarting the installer got me to the mailman warning. however after having tested mailman and tried to check log files and could find any issue with mailman.

My questions are,

1) Will forcing configuration (mailman or any other service further ahead) have any negative impact?
    2) I read here and there that the suggested OS for ISPConfig is Debian, I've picked Centos only because I've really always used it and it's comfortable, should I leave the comfort zone and do a new installation on Debian (8.5?) and ISPC3.1? any drawbacks? ( from what i see only roundcube is not supported)

Thank you in advance for any insight!
    Nuno

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

A quick search in that tutorial looks like it might be missing the command to install postgrey (though I've not followed/used that tutorial myself).

Do you need/plan to use mailman? If so, you need to have it installed and it appears you do not. Follow https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...fix-dovecot-and-ispconfig/2/#-install-mailman to do so, or answer no to that question if you don't need it.

3. NRP

NRP New Member

Hi Jesse, thank you for the reply!

Yep i did install mailman and double checked everything appears to be working, i managed to make a list and subscribe/unsubscribe etc.

One thing i did notice, if i leave the permissions as the default setting, i am able to access and use mailman.

If i set them as per the tutorial, i am not able to. i had forgotten about that and i will try to revert the permissions and try the installer again when i'm back home!

Thanks again!
    PS. on 2) would you think sticking to Centos will deprive me of any functionality further down the road?

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

I wouldn't expect so, if you're familiar with Centos and can manage such a system better, that's certainly worth something. As with everything, there are pro's and con's (to debian vs. centos, and familiar vs. something new)

5. NRP

NRP New Member

Hi Jesse, Thank you for your valuable input!
    Meanwhile i've checked mailman again and the issue i had with not being accessible is that the tutorial had the permissions for apache 2.2, when i install apache on Centos7.2 it will be 2.4
    I've put the settings for 2.4 back and everything (mailman) works, however it still doesn't get autodetected in the install.
    Will post back if I find my way around this.

Thanks again!
    Nuno

6. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

did you receive any output from the following commands?
    which mailman
    which mmsitepass

NRP likes this.
  7. NRP

NRP New Member

Hi Florian, thank you for your time!

Ok, there's that then!

# which mailman
    /usr/bin/which: no mailman in (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin)

# which mmsitepass
    /usr/bin/which: no mmsitepass in (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin)

should i add /usr/lib/mailman/bin to the path env or symlink it?

Nuno

8. NRP

NRP New Member

Just a quick update that adding the above to the $PATH fixed this. I guess that was obvious!
    I am not sure if there would be ill side effects, i'll comment if i find.

Thanks again for the help.