ISPConfig 3 - back-res a Backup and Restore script

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by go0ogl3, Dec 6, 2009.

1. dclardy

dclardy Member

Is this script a part of the backup section of ISPConfig?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No. This is a additional backup script.

3. dclardy

dclardy Member

Does the ISPConfig included backup script include databases?

4. till

The svn version which will be 3.0.5 yes, the current 3.0.4.4 stable no.

5. dclardy

dclardy Member

Thanks, till. I am just going to automysqlbackup for the time being.

6. lobius

lobius Member

Three days and I have not had an automated backup yet. I think that means something's not working right.

In cron...

Code:
    40 3 * * * /etc/back-res 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Everything looks like it checks out, but nothing is saving to the target directory: /srv/bck.

Any ideas?

7. till

Do you get any errors when you run:

/etc/back-res

manually as root user on the shell?

8. lobius

lobius Member

Typo…

cron was looking for back-res when the file name was back_res.

I feel terrible about that one. :-(

I think it will work just fine now.

9. lobius

lobius Member

You must delete my original draft of the previous post. I forgot to remove some critical information.

10. dpetrek

dpetrek New Member

back-res

so i have the back-res working well, however no notification mail is sent when the backup is done. looks like this part is never reached:

"# Send accumulated maildata an cleanup
    mail -s "Daily backup of $COMPUTER `date +'%F'`" "$email" < $tmpdir/maildata
    rm -rf $tmpdir/datestart
    rm -rf $tmpdir/dateend
    rm -rf $tmpdir/excluded
    rm -rf $tmpdir/maildata
    "

what could be the reason for this?

11. dipeshmehta

dipeshmehta Member

Hello go0ogl3,

I want to run my backups as - full backups on Sundays and daily incremental backups on weekdays, what changes do I need to make?

Dipesh

12. harrythehamster

harrythehamster New Member

Hello

I have been advised to use this script to make a backup of my files. I was looking for a way to backup all of my sites on ispconfig and restore them including all mysql databases so that I can install a fresh ispconfig install if my server gets comprimised.

I have managed to make the backups but I cannot work out how the restore part works.

I am using Debian 6 and any advice would be great :)
    Thanks.

13. concept21

concept21 Active Member

VM is the Perfect Solution. VM is better than physical server from the viewpoint of maintenance and security. :)

14. harrythehamster

Hello

I am still very unclear on how you restore the backup files that are created with the backup script. The script says backup and restore. I have managed the backup bit but how do you restore the files please.

This is the only thing now stopping me from using ISPConfig on my vps server to host my sites and blogs. As soon as I have this sorted out I can go ahead and move my sites to my vps knowing that they would be secure and I would have a backup to restore if my vps got comprimised.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  15. till

Take a look into the script, the restore procedure is described in the comments at the beginning of the script:

16. harrythehamster

Thanks for your reply Till

I have read the 'comments' section of the script and that is what I cannot understand.

So lets say for example my vps gets comprimised/hacked and I have to reinstall ispconfig 3 and I need to reinstall all of my sites from the backup.

How do I do this?

Do I upload all of the backup files that I downloaded prior to me reinstalling the OS and Ispconfig then use SSH and put the command:-

back-res db mysql date

and so on to restore all of those files and have my ftp, mysql databases, sites and blogs working again?

Thanks

17. Fredda

Fredda New Member

Complete backup and restore

Hello,

It's been awhile since I last was on this forum, so my old user was deleted :)
    My hosting company is upgrading their infrastructure, so I have to upgrade my server. The old server is running Ubuntu 10.04 with Ispconfig3, on the new server I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 and Ispconfig3.

Can I use this script to backup the old server and restore it on the new server without any compatibility issues?

Thanks for the great software and forum! :)

18. chmadk

chmadk New Member

Problems with script

Hello.

Now ive tried both an Ubuntu 12.10 Server
    And an debian 6.

Both of them can backup just fine !

but when i try the restore database. I get the mysql -x error.. its on all of the servers.. It looks like its eating the Tar command in the script and then not knowing what to do next

19. chmadk

chmadk New Member

Since nobody ddid anything i did it myself..

i know it may not be the best way to do it.. but now it works for me at least !
    From line 550 and forward.. this fixes the restore script if you keep getting the -x is not valid blah blah.
    Code:
    for i in $arh ; do
                    rdb=`echo $i | cut -d "-" -f2`
                    edb=`echo $i | cut -d "." -f1`
                    $TAR $EARG $BACKUPDIR/$YDATE-$MDATE/$i
                    mysql -u$dbuser -p$dbpassword $rdb < $edb.sql
                    rm $edb.sql
                done

20. Rashef

Rashef New Member

Hi guys,
    using the script on a CentoOS with ISPConfig3, I get the following output:

Code:
    # ./bak-res.sh 
    ./bak-res.sh: line 226: /tmp/tmpbck/maildata: No such file or directory
    ./bak-res.sh: line 229: /tmp/tmpbck/maildata: No such file or directory
    ./bak-res.sh: line 235: /tmp/tmpbck/maildata: No such file or directory
    ./bak-res.sh: line 220: /tmp/tmpbck/maildata: No such file or directory
    c1gus01.ft_rp_address
    note     : Table does not support optimize, doing recreate + analyze instead
    c1gus01.ft_rp_event_cite
    c1gus01.ft_rp_event_detail
    c1gus01.ft_rp_event_note
    c1gus01.ft_rp_fam
    c1gus01.ft_rp_fam_child
    c1gus01.ft_rp_fam_cite
    c1gus01.ft_rp_fam_event
    c1gus01.ft_rp_fam_note
    c1gus01.ft_rp_header
    c1gus01.ft_rp_indi
    c1gus01.ft_rp_indi_cite
    c1gus01.ft_rp_indi_event
    c1gus01.ft_rp_indi_fam
    c1gus01.ft_rp_indi_name
    c1gus01.ft_rp_indi_note
    c1gus01.ft_rp_indi_option
    c1gus01.ft_rp_name_cite
    c1gus01.ft_rp_name_name
    c1gus01.ft_rp_name_note
    c1gus01.ft_rp_name_personal
    c1gus01.ft_rp_note
    c1gus01.ft_rp_repo
    c1gus01.ft_rp_repo_note
    c1gus01.ft_rp_source
    c1gus01.ft_rp_source_cite
    c1gus01.ft_rp_source_note
    c1gus01.ft_rp_submitter
    c1gus01.ft_rp_submitter_note
    mysql.general_log
    note     : The storage engine for the table doesn't support optimize
    mysql.slow_log
    note     : The storage engine for the table doesn't support optimize
    mysqldump: Got error: 1044: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' to database 'information_schema' when using LOCK TABLES
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/2013-02/db-c1doop-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/2013-02/db-c1gus01-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/2013-02/db-c1icom01-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/2013-02/db-c1meu01-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/2013-02/db-c1morg01-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/2013-02/db-c2nitesite-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/2013-02/db-dbispconfig-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/2013-02/db-mysql-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/full_boot-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/full_etc-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/full_home-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/tar: Child returned status 2
    /bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/full_lib-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/full_root-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/tar: Child returned status 2
    /bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/full_sbin-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/full_usr-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar (child): /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/full_var-2013-02-06.tar.bz2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/tar: /www: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    /bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    ./bak-res.sh: line 219: /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/log/backup.log: Permission denied
    ./bak-res.sh: line 219: /bkp/MYSERVER/myserver.int/log/backup.log: Permission denied
    [Exit 1]
    Just FYI, I mounted my BOX.NET folder on /bkp using davfs2 and I can perfectly write in there, but:
    • full_www-2013-02-06.tar.bz2 is actually empty
    • There are only 1 DB out of 7 and db-information_schema in the DB folder

what's wrong?