ISPConfig 3 DNS cluster/mirror

Discussion in 'General' started by Darkphyre, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Darkphyre

Darkphyre New Member

Hello,

After reading the ISPConfig 3 clustering guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/installin...tabase-cluster-on-debian-5.0-with-ispconfig-3

I have a couple of questions.

Is clustering meant to provide real-time redundancy? As in, if "server 1" goes down, would "server 2" automatically take over?

If so, how does this work when it comes to DNS? The 2 servers can not have the same IP addresses. So if a website has for example the dedicated IP address of 123.123.123.123 in "server 1" and that server went down, how would ISPConfig 3 transfer the IP address data over to the other server?

Or another example would be with the name servers. If "server 1" had the ns1/ns2.example.com name servers configured in its bind9 configuration, and "server 2" had ns3/ns4.example.com as its name servers, would the client's domain name need to have all 4 name servers setup on its domain name?

Thanks!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The clustering mirrors the configuration and data from one server to another and it is near realtime, depending on how fast the internet connection between the servers is. For websites, you should use * in the website settings to allow access to the website on both servers simultaniously. You can e.g. run a load balancer appliance in fron of the servers or a software load balancer. If you want to use the IP address for websites, then you can use the second server as hot standby system but not as load balanced system as you can not access them simultaniously.

3. Darkphyre

Darkphyre New Member

But even if I use "*" in the website settings, how will DNS update as necessary if server 1 goes down so that the website resolves to server 2 instead of server 1?... Am I making sense or should I explain it further?

4. till

You do not change dns, please see my comments about load balancers in the post above.

5. Darkphyre

Darkphyre New Member

Ah, I understand now. Thank you! :)

6. corvus.crow

corvus.crow New Member

is this limited to only 2 servers?

7. till

No. You may use as many mirros as you like.

8. corvus.crow

corvus.crow New Member

thanks till..

9. -crisstm-

-crisstm- Banned

server down

i make it this cluster setup:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/installin...tabase-cluster-on-debian-5.0-with-ispconfig-3

and i have one problem and few question.

Load balance is working well, if i choose * at each web site IP. But who made load balance in this case? ISPConfig? Because i don't see other software installed on my system.

When the master server is going down, the websites don't work from the slave server.why?

Can i made for e.g more slave servers, but just email server, to join that master server?

thank's to all