ISPConfig 3 updates

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by metalcated, Nov 10, 2014.

1. metalcated

metalcated New Member

I recently ran an update and noticed that my dovecot.conf and pure-ftpd.conf were over-written with no backups. I thankfully have a nightly backup that I run so I was able to easily restore my configurations. Please take a note of this and address this for future releases. Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig creates a backup of the files before it changes them, the backups are stored with ~ at the end, e.g. dovecot.conf~. A secodn backup is created in /var/backup, so you have 2 backups available.

3. metalcated

metalcated New Member

Yes I know that, however those backups from some of the configuration files did not exist. I also had to reconconfigure my entire mail MTA after running this update. I would recommend a better approach for updates. Why when a fully configured system is setup would you overwrite an in place configuration? I think there must be a better way.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats only possible if:

a) you modified the sourcecode of the ispconfig updater, the ~ backup copy function is hardcoded, so you cant avoid these backus without sourcecode changes.
    b) the second backup will not happen if you answered with "no" when the updater asks you to make a backup or when your Linux system has no tar command.

This means that you must have manually altered the mta configuration after the initial ispconfig install but you forget to store the altered config templates in the conf-custom/install/ folderBy not storing your manually altered configuration you told the ispconfig installeer to remove all custom changes and thats wjet the installer did.

5. metalcated

metalcated New Member

Can you point me to documentation on conf-custom/install/ please? Thank you.