ISPconfig maildir migration

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by empi, Sep 4, 2016.

1. empi

empi New Member

I want to migrate my email accounts from old server to my new one with ISPconfig 3.1 and I want to import Maildir file into my new server. But I think, it has a different format. When I create email account on another domain with ISP config, it is stored in : /var/vmail/anotherdomain(dot)com/info (email is info@anotherdomain(dot)com) But from my old provider, when I extracted maildir into domain.com location, I see numbers (204073) instead of real emails like info@ and In ISPconfig I don't see any email addresses and any email domain.
    So how can I import emails in ISPconfig?
    And where are passwords for these addresses stored? Because I don't know email accounts passwords and I can't edit them, beacuse users are using them.
    Or exist any better way, how to migrate emails between servers?

2. Grog

Grog New Member

not sure if it will help but could the fetchmail option in ispconfig3 be a solution?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which controlpanel do you use on the ld server?

4. empi

empi New Member

fetchmail will help me, only if I know passwords, but I don't want to change them. And old server don't used any common solution, they have used their own builded solution.

5. empi

empi New Member

I decided to change passwords now. So how can I transfer email via IMAP?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can do that with the program imapsync.

7. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

If it's not too many accounts you could do it like this:

1. Get Thunderbird
    2. Setup the old account with IMAP and have all mails sync
    3. Setup the new account also with IMAP
    4. Create the folder on the new account
    5. Go into every folder of the old account, mark the message (ctrl-a) and then right-click and select "Copy to" and then browse through the accounts and folders for the new account

If it's just one account that's an easy way to do. If you have many accounts, then use imapsync.