ISPConfig on OpenSuSE 10.0 Site doesn't show up

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Hendrikus Postma, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Hendrikus Postma

Hendrikus Postma New Member

Hi,

The installation of ISPConfig actualy succeeds, but the site doesn't show up on a workstation. I see many problems with SuSE, are there succesfull installations with this distribution? I don't have a fast internet connection and from SuSE I only have the complete set of RPM's, switching to another distrubution would cost me a lot of time.

I get confused with the following thinks; (this is a stand allone intranet server with dial-up internet connection)
    Installation SuSE:
    Network interface: Static Address Setup Static IP address: 192.168.0.250 [subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, Hostname: host Domain name: MyDomain.com, Firewall: disabled

I don’t use more than one Nameserver, I leave it blank, Under Routing Configuration I keep the gateway blank I don’t use additional addresses, I leave it blank. Is this wrong ? I don’t use 192.168.0.1 because when people in the network install internetsharing in a Windows system it configurate by default 192.168.0.1 this results in IP conflicts.

When I type in PuTTY hostname it shows host
    After the:
    echo host.MyDomain.com > /etc/hostname
    /bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
    I type again hostname in PuTTY it shows host.MyDomain.com, in my opinion the hostname contains the domainname now, or I’m I wrong?

On the end of the installation ISPConfig they asking the following questions:
    Please enter the IP address of the ISPConfig web (e.g. 192.168.0.1): 192.168.0.250
    Please enter the host name (e.g. www): What I have to fill in ? www, host, or host.MyDomain.com (the same when I type hostname in PuTTY)
    Please enter the domain (e.g. xyz.de): 192.168.0.250

When I fill www or host as hostname and MyDomain.com as domain the installation stops ! When I only type 192.168.0.250 the installation is finnishing succesfully but I can’t go to the website ISPConfig by typing https://192.168.0.250:81 even it works one time but I reinstall again because I wanted to be able to use www.MyDomain.com:81 , The same with Webmin, I can only come there via https://192.168.0.250:10000 even internet explorer/apache shows https://host.MyDomain.com:10000/ . What I also found strange that Apache is still pointing to /srv/www/htdocs or /srv/www/ but the one time I got ISPConfig working he put the web1, web2, web3 in the /var/www/ directory.

PS. We have a website www.MyDomain.com, is it possible to use host.MyDomain.com as intranet? The same for by example government sites, like website www.samarinda.go.id intranet host or local.samarinda.go.id , what about upload/download mail when using only a dial-up connection that checks once an hour if there is mail in the emailbox at the provider. Windows has nice solutions like IAmailserver but where I find something like that for Linux? Internal I would use GroupOffice with IMAP for the distribution localy.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, have a look at this tutorial for SuSE 10.0: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_suse_10.0

I don't think leaving the gateway blank is a good idea because then your server doesn't have a working internet connection...
    Does your server have a working internet connection? Does
    Code:
    ping -c4 www.google.com
    work?

If you want to use www.MyDomain.com:81 for ISPConfig, then you fill in www as hostname and MyDomain.com as domain name. But you must make sure that the DNS record for www.MyDomain.com points to the correct IP address because the installer tries to ping the FQDN, and if it doesn't exist, then the installation stops.

Are you sure you specified /srv/www instead of /var/www as web root during the ISPConfig installation?

Yes.

3. Hendrikus Postma

Lets start from the beginning, my installation is based on http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_suse_10.0 as you can see in the PDF file I send to you before.

I dont have a modem connected to the server and no other Internet connection, it's a pure intranet setup. Later I connect a modem to download and send mail to a ISP.

SuSE Network setup:

Firewall: disabled

Static IP address: 192.168.0.250 [subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Hostname: host Domain name: MyDomain.com

Routing Configuration Gateway: What I have to fill in? 192.168.0.250 ?

Additional addresses: Do I need to fill additional addresses ?

Does your server have a working internet connection? NO

If you want to use www.MyDomain.com:81 for ISPConfig, then you fill in www as hostname and MyDomain.com as domain name. But you must make sure that the DNS record for www.MyDomain.com points to the correct IP address because the installer tries to ping the FQDN, and if it doesn't exist, then the installation stops.
    I like to keep host.MyDomain.com for intranet and use www for the external site.

Where I set this DSN record? In the SuSE YAST Network sevices - DNS Server? IP Address again 192.168.0.250?

4. falko

If you don't want your server to have an internet connection, then you don't need a gateway. Otherwise use the internal IP address of your router.

You mean virtual IP addresses? No, unless you need more than one IP address.

You can run
    Code:
    dig mydomain.com
    (of course on a machine with a working internet connection), and then you will see the authoritative name servers for mydomain.com. That's where you must create the DNS records.
    The second solution would be to alter the hosts file on all your clients: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432

5. Hendrikus Postma

I tryed it, but ofcourse I don't have a connection to the internet

host:~ # dig opensynergy.org

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> opensynergy.org
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432

It's not the most elegant solution, edit the host file on every windows station, what about linux stations? How is out Windows2003 server doing it? Also a intranet solution but I can just enter MyDomain.com and I'm on 192.168.0.1.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  6. falko

Code:
    ~# dig opensynergy.org

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> opensynergy.org
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53530
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;opensynergy.org.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    opensynergy.org.        600     IN      A       80.69.67.3

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    opensynergy.org.        86400   IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns2.transip.net[/COLOR][/B].
    opensynergy.org.        86400   IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns0.transip.net[/COLOR][/B].
    opensynergy.org.        86400   IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns1.transip.net[/COLOR][/B].

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns0.transip.net.        86400   IN      A       80.69.67.67
    ns1.transip.net.        171397  IN      A       80.69.69.69
    ns2.transip.net.        84996   IN      A       84.246.22.10

;; Query time: 720 msec
    ;; SERVER: 81.169.163.104#53(81.169.163.104)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Feb  6 18:33:45 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 162
    I've marked the authoritative name servers above. That's where you must create the appropriate DNS records.