ISPConfig public key authentication?

Discussion in 'General' started by wpwood3, Jan 22, 2008.

1. wpwood3

wpwood3 New Member

I have been using public key authentication for SSH and really like it. It is much more secure than password authentication and easier to use once you set it up.

Is there a way to setup ISPConfig so that any access requires public key authentication rather than a password? That way only users who have the private key on their client machine could access ISPConfig.

Even better would be if the entire ISPConfig Apache server used public key. That way I could secure other applications like phpMyAdmin that are installed on ISPConfig's dedicated Apache server.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, you'd have to set this up manually.

3. LaKing

LaKing New Member

I'm currently implementing that feature.

4. Undo

Undo New Member

I would be greatly interested in your code / scripts / way to do it.

When you're done, if you could post everything to the community... thanks in advance ;)

5. LaKing

LaKing New Member

That feature has been implemented, and it is in the SVN trunk.
    It is waiting for approval to be included in a future release.

Please feel free to test it.

There is no documentation yet. If you have questions please feel free to ask them here.

:cool:

6. GoremanX

GoremanX New Member

Has this been approved for an upcoming release? I'm really looking forward to it.

7. LaKing

LaKing New Member

Someone who is not a dev in ISPconfig needs to test it.

As far as I saw, it works, ...
    .. and if there are any issues with it, I'll fix them.

You guys just need to make 'preassure' that you want to have this feature officially released. :) ...

8. Undo

Undo New Member

Any update on that?

9. LaKing

LaKing New Member

Public Key Authentication is under the features, since longer, this thread is outdated.

When creating a new shell user, you can add SSH-RSA Public Key (for key-based logins)

10. Undo

Undo New Member

Great! Thanks :)