ISPConfig Roadmap

Discussion in 'General' started by till, Oct 19, 2005.

1. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

My one big issue with ISPConfig is the setup, that's it. Otherwise it's fantastic, and I'm very grateful good ppl are working on it. Are y'all German, btw?

Anyway, my suggestion would be that if the user has not fullfilled some requirement, for instance if xyz.domain.dom does not resolve to anything, warn the user and allow them to 1. update their DNS, or 2. choose a different hostname before proceeding. Another for instance is if the MySQL pass doesn't match, allow the user a couple of chances to retype it. Finally, if the install MUST abort, have it clean up the install files automagically.

That's all I have to say, other than thanks for putting together such an awesome package. This thing has some great features and potential for future growth. I've suggested it to our sysadmin, as we host DNS, web, email, and ftp, and currently enter EVERYTHING by hand. While it's fun to edit raw zone files, it would be nice to give customers an interface to do it instead. ;)

Thanks again!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The core development team is German, that's right.

3. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Fantastic! Those crazy Germans, what will they think of next? :p

You might want to sticky this thread, roadmaps are very nice. :)

4. falko

Winning the FIFA World Cup! :D

5. nveid

nveid ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Personally I find postfix /much/ easier to configure than exim, and I thought authentication for smtp SASL requirement was configurable?
    I believe postfix-vda covers the quotas, http://web.onda.com.br/nadal/, which is also a debian package. I've been using it for awhile and it works well.

I haven't tried this personally but I believe yaa does the trick, and its a debian package as well, http://frost.ath.cx/software/yaa/.

6. falko

Postfix will also be supported, don't worry about that. :)

I use this patch myself in this tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier, but I think it might be a bit of a problem for the average user to apply this patch. Of course we'll publish instructions on how to do it, but it will still be a problem for some...

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

One problem with patches is that we do not only need debian packages. We need at least Fedora 3 + 4, SuSe 9.3 - 10, RedHat 9 plus RH Enterprise packages and as Falko mentioned, many users wont be able to configure a complex patched system and keep it up to date. So we had to chose Exim as default, its easier to setup and compile for the average user.

8. ovis

ovis ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

What about Antivirus Spam and Firewall solutions ?

Is there any shift in these programs or the way they will be configured in ISPC3 ? It would be nice people can choose all sorts of solutions them selfs (Free and Commersial) Well i never tryed a different solution myself. But i really like experiment with different tools such as VuurMuur, ASSP, Multiple Antivirus solutions.

Just a thougt

Ovis

9. till

Yes. Most daemons will get their configuration directly out of the mysql database. But we wont stop the ISPConfig 2 development when ISPConfig 3 is released, so noone has to migrate their server to ISPConfig 3.

ISPConfig 3 will be much more modularized then ISPConfig 2. I think it will be possible to plugin additional modules easily.

10. alexillsley

alexillsley ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Yea ISPConfig is great though i think it should be made more user orientated that site orientated. So one client/user should get a number of domains and subdomains, a number of FTP accounts, a number of SQL accounts. So the user should have a limit for the whole account not each site, this way i could give user 100mb of space between 2 sites and one FTP account for all the sites. Something like that, just an idea

Alex,

11. brainz

brainz Member

I really dont know alot.... But i know one think till and Falko are fantastic...

regards
    brainz :cool:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  12. crypted

crypted Member

I'm wondering what type of process, if any, will be available to upgrade ISPCONFIG v2 to v3 when the final version is available? I'm looking forward to the new ISPCONFIG. It's amazing that you have such great skills and are so kind to follow the opensource agenda.

By the way, I'd prefer Germany win the next FIFA cup rather than France or Mexico!

Danke vielmals!

13. till

There will be no direct upgrading option available. The reason for this is that ispconfig 3 has totally different system requirements so that a system that has run ispconfog 2 before is not able to run ispconfig 3 without a complete reconfiguration or better a reinstallation.

I hope that we will be able to implement some kind of migration tool thats is able to import the website and user details from a ispconfig 2 system to a ispconfig 3 system but there was no time yet to write such a tool and my priority is to get the final of ISPConfig 3 out at the moment. We will not stop the support and updates for ISPConfig 2 so there is no need for fast a upgrade to ispconfig 3 from a technical standpoint.

14. atjensen11

atjensen11 New Member

I use YAA for autoresponders for my Postfix email server using a MySQL backend and virtual users. I used a tutorial on HowtoForge to setup the mail server and then added YAA later.

15. till

ISPConfig 3 uses maildrop based autoresponders and scripts to connect to the mysql database which works fine too.