ISPConfig Roundcube Out of Office Reply / Vacation Message - Error 550: Empty envelope Sender

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by pssadm, Jan 3, 2021.

1. pssadm

pssadm Member

Hi all, wondering if anyone else has or had this issue. Can't seem to find much on how one would solve this.
    I recently installed the ispconfig plugins for RoundCube. (set them up easily enough). I sent a test message to the email address with the enabled out of office reply. The server sent a message back, however, it stops short of getting all the way to the original sender. The mail server blocks the return reply with the notice below:

to=<[email protected]>, relay=spamfilter.email.com[88.88.88.88]:587, delay=1.6, delays=0.28/0.02/1.3/0.07, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host spamfilter.email.com[88.88.88.88] said: 550 Empty envelope senders not allowed (in reply to DATA command))
    Jan 2 21:17:09 ns1 postfix/qmgr[28010]: DA3B868C0795: removed

I can only assume that Roundcube is not attaching a sender email address when responding with the notice.
    Does anyone know what I can do to make Roundcube include that information in the return reply?

Thank you so much in advance!
    Best regards, and happy new years everyone!!

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which ISPConfig version are you using? Did you follow a guide to set up the plugins and if so, which? Can you share how exactly you set up the reply?

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Empty envelope senders are used all the time, and even required for proper function in some places; sounds like the receiving server is poorly configured.

If you want to work around this problem on the remote server, I think you can change what dovecot uses for the sender in vacation replies. (Fwiw, I would probably just report the brokenness to the other side and let them fix it.) Roundcube has nothing to do with the actual reply, it is just a ui to configure what is ultimately a sieve script.

4. pssadm

pssadm Member

Thanks Th0m for your response, I used these instructions for Debian, though i am using Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (Bionic Beaver)) with ISPConfig 3.1dev

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-3-roundcube-plugins-on-debian-stretch/
    I setup the Autoreply with the few fields that are available. Set date start and end.. and save it.

5. pssadm

pssadm Member

Thanks for your response Norel, the receiving side is using Barracuda spamfilter and is set to not receive messages without the sender email included within the envelope. It's probably a good thing from the receiving side not to allow such messages in order to reduce the amount of spam and malware. That said, I think the sending side should have the ability to include this when replying with the "out of office" message... no?

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

RFC 5321 requires some messages to be sent with a null sender; if they outright block all null sender messages, they are violating the rules by which mail systems agree to send mail. How is that a good thing? The very fact that you have posted this thread, working through this issue and have brought in the help of numerous unaffiliated third parties to try to find a solution to work around a system that is violating the normal mail delivery rules would seem clear evidence it is not.

Your system does have that ability, as I mentioned above. A quick search for that would find eg. https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Extensions/Vacation which describes the options.

sonik14 and pssadm like this.
  7. pssadm

pssadm Member

I'm not familiar with the RFC's. I just assumed that there would be an option to enable the sender in the response, I just couldn't find it, that is the reason for my post.

This is exactly what I needed to get around the existing issue!! I will research the RFC to see that I don't break anything.
    Thank you so much Jesse!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  8. pssadm

pssadm Member

Hi guys, so many years ago, I'm still having an issue with this. Apparently, GMAIL is now enforcing rules so that incoming mail gets dropped with there is no Envelope Sender. Any help would be appreciated. :)

9. pssadm

pssadm Member

Well, it may be a bit more complicated then original thought. The autoresponder sends out a vacation message as seen in postfix like this:

When google receives the message, it instantly rejects it with this:
    The x.x.x.x is indeed in the SPF record and I've tested the DKIM which passes. If I send a normal email to gmail it works fine.

Really hoping someone can chime in on this.
    Thank you!!

10. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It fails. The RFC for SPF describes that if the envelop-from field is missing from an email, which is the case here, the spf validation falls back to the "client helo" your clients e.g. your mailserver domian most likly has no spf record present so it fails as google requires spf.

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

So as @pyte suggested, try adding a SPF record for the system hostname and see if Google accepts it then.

12. pssadm

pssadm Member

I can confirm the mail is getting through now, but is always tagged as JUNK and moves directly to JUNK folder. (only as a autoresponse, not as a direct message). I assume that is because it now passes SPF. I'm thankful at least that the mail is getting through, but is there a way to avoid getting tagged? Any way to have the autoresponder mechanism know to include the :FROM envelope sender and not leave it blank?

When the message comes in... it seems only logical that the autoresponder should include a envelope sender of the user that the message was destined to. Is there a way to tell it to?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  13. pssadm

pssadm Member

Are you guys having similar issue or is this just because I'm sending mail through a relayhost?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  14. till

I do not have any such issue.

15. pssadm

pssadm Member

I will install a new ISPConfig and setup Amavis and all the other features. Then try again. I can't get the outgoing mail to be signed with DKIM with my initial implementation. -- I'll update the forum with my results. Thanks Till!

16. till

Amavis is not used anymore on new ISPConfig setups today and we will remove amavis support sooner or later anyway. So do not install it, use the ISPConfig auto-installer which installs Rspamd.

pyte likes this.
  17. pssadm

pssadm Member

Oh, really. I created a new server with Amavis and it does indeed sign the outgoing email with DKIM. Will Rspamd, do same? I installed 20.04/Ubuntu. Is the new version on 22.04?

18. till

Yes. Rspamd signs emails with Dkin in the same way Amavis does it.

Yes. Installing new systems with Ubuntu 20.04 today does not make much sense to me as all software on it is outdated, means you have to do a dist upgrade very soon anyway. The current Ubuntu LTS version is 22.04, and the new LTS Version, Ubuntu 24.04, will be released in about 2-3 months.

19. pssadm

pssadm Member

Sweet!! Do you know if either will have ARC embedded. I don't know much about it, but it seems that ARC will allow us to forward mail on behalf of others and keep the DMARC/DKIM/SPF pass information intact.

20. till

I don't know. You might have a look at the Rspamd website.

Besides that, if you have issues with SPF and email relaying, check out postsrsd https://github.com/roehling/postsrsd