ispconfig runs out fo memory

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by smokinjo, May 27, 2016.

1. smokinjo

smokinjo Member

Hello,
    I have been using ispconfig for the past 2-3 years. It runs well, with a few hiccups once in awhile.
    I used the perfect installation instructions.
    I use debian install
    Running in a VM under vmware.
    Since last fall, I have run into a problem where the memory keep running out. I originally started with 8GB which I knew was to much. Then, the memory started running out. So I increased the RAM to 16GB. Well, the memory runs out still. It can go a few days, all si well, and then slowly the available RAM slowly drops to 0 over the course of 6-12 hours. I am obliged to reboot the VM because I can not longer get into it.

This of course stops all webpage access and email stops as well.

The server has never been modified since the initial install, besides adding and removing webpages, emails, database,s etc...

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas on why the memory is being gobbled up and not available?

Thanks for any hints or ideas.

Thanks

Joe

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check with ps -aux and top commands which processes actually use the RAM.

3. smokinjo

smokinjo Member

Hello,
    As I went to log in to use these commands, the server did nto respond, so I had to reboot.
    I used the two commands that you gave and copied and pasted the results. So, these are from a fresh reboot.

I will monitor them, and when the memory starts to fill up, I will take another snapshot and upload them. Maybe they might show something.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. smokinjo

smokinjo Member

The memory used jumped from 2GB to 5.5GB. Here are the latest readings.

I wil watch for memory usage over 10GB before I post again.

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. smokinjo

smokinjo Member

I have taken the information fromthe ps -aux and top commands when 240MB remain out of the 16GB alloted to ISPConfig.

Maybe this will indicate something.

Thanks for any feedback.

Attached Files:

6. Thaddeus

Thaddeus New Member

Hi I would suggest you install htop
    1. Open up an SSH session.
    2. Log in with your root user log in credentials.
    3. Type “apt-get install htop”.
    4. To run htop, type “htop”.
    5. If you wish to quit htop at any point, press F10.
    when you run it you will get a screen like
    [​IMG]

You can sort the dispay by Memory usage by pressing F6 and using the arrow keys to highlight PRECENT_MEM.

This will give you a clear view of what is using memory and how long it has been running.
    Use the up /down arrow keys to highlight a process and press 'l' to get the list of open files with lsof.

This will really help narrow things down.
    The full commands list for htop is
    [​IMG]
    You can read more about it here http://www.webhostingbuzz.com/wiki/install-htop-linux/
    Hope this helps you to get to the root problem.
    Also do check for some common issues like malware running /usr/bin/host
    or you can try grep -h "POST " /var/log/httpd/access_log | awk '{print $1}' | sort -n | uniq -c | sort -nr
    to see if any wordpress / joomla or cms has unusual post requests

Last edited: May 28, 2016