ispconfig slave dns server not updating

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mxc, May 25, 2006.

1. mxc

mxc ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi there,

It appears that there is a problem with the setup of bind when it is used as a slave dns server with ispconfig. The master server seems to be setup correctly and send the request through to the slave but the slave dns server refuses to allow the update. There are permission deniend errors in /var/log/messages.

Any recommended way to fix this?

thanks

2. mxc

mxc ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Ok -- I find a post about adding notify and allow-transfer directives to the /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/named.conf.master file but this didnt work.

It turned out to be a files permission problem. To over come this I did the following to the /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/named.conf.master file. This is near the bottom

<!-- BEGIN DYNAMIC BLOCK: named_slave -->
    zone "{DOMAIN}" {
    type slave;
    file "slaves/sec.{DOMAIN}"; #!******************** this line used to be file "sec.{DOMAIN}";
    masters { {MASTERS}; };
    };
    <!-- END DYNAMIC BLOCK: named_slave -->

Basically the slave domains need a directory with write permissions. The slave directory under /var/named/slaves is setup with the right permissions so just change the template to refer to this directory and everything works great!

I dont know if I still need the

allow-transfer directives and notify directives as it seemed that the slave was getting updates from the beginning and just had filesystem permission errors. I am pretty sure I could leave them out but they arent doing any harm

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Leave them there if it's working like that. :)