ISPConfig SSL certificate

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex M, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Alex M

Alex M Member

With the address https://webserver.dominio.it:8080 it does not go, with the ip address yes.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Your url redirects to http://byzzpro.com/. The 8080 port does not work at all, probably because it redirect to that other site that does not listen on port 8080.
    Something is wrong with your setup.
    And like I suspected in two previous messages, your sertificate is for hostname *.dondominio.com. not the URL your ispconfig server uses.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

SSL Certs are always issued for a domain name, you can't get a 'green' bar in the browser when accessing it by IP. As @Taleman mentioned, there must be something completely wrong when the server hostname on port 8080 redirects to another website. Do you really own the domain dominio.it and does webserver.dominio.it has a DNS A-Record which points to the IP address of this server?

4. Alex M

Alex M Member

No but the http://byzzpro.com/ has nothing to do with me the webserver.dominio.it was to understand but it is not the real address, at the post of the domain.it there is my real domain

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

When connecting to an ip address via https the browser will always issue a certificate warning, because ip addresses are not included in the certificate as a common name (CN) or subject alternative name (SAN), only hostnames.

Port 8080 doesn't even connect from the internet, though perhaps you have it blocked and only allow local access. The certificate on port 443 for that hostname includes *.dondominio.com and dondominio.com, but does not include any names for dominio.it, and those names resolve to different ip addresses; you may have a dns or port forwarding issue. Connecting to the ip address with no servername returns that same certificate.

The output requested above as well as the acme.log might give some more indications of the problem.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  6. Alex M

Alex M Member

Yes, the domain after webserver is mine.

7. Alex M

Alex M Member

No but that is not my domain it was one that I put to make it clear, the domain after webserver. it is a real domain that I registered myself.

8. Alex M

Alex M Member

ok so if I understand correctly this is why on the site it gives me the secure certificate while from the ip no, another thing so if I made public the host name of the server which is webserver.ilmiodominio.it the certificate would be just as safe as that of my site. If so, how can I make my server hostname public? Thanks

9. Alex M

Alex M Member

Ok, maybe I could have understood the problem that is that the certificate is not recognized as secure because I access ISPConfig from ip address and therefore it does not give me the certificate as safe as you told me, but if I were to access from the name of the https server : //webserver.ilmiodominio.it: 8080 should give me the certificate as safe if I don't get it wrong.
    So if I can I ask another question as if I enter the name of the server eg. webserver.miodominio.it does not solve anything for me how should I make the name of the server public so that it is resolved with the public ip address? Thanks

10. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

is it webserver.ilmiodominio.it or webserver.miodominio.it?
    both domains are registered. miodominio.it has ip 109.233.126.152 and a webserver subdomain A record pointing to the same ip.
    ilmiodominio.it has the ip 167.86.80.223 and no A record for webserver in it's dns.
    miodominio.it has no cert, or doesn't support tls1.2 or newer
    ilmiodominio.it has a self-signed wildcard cert.

11. Alex M

Alex M Member

Those are not my domains are examples to understand.
    In the real "configuration" what is after webserver. it is my real domain registered by me.

12. nhybgtvfr

you've used at least 3 different domain names, and then said they're only examples.
    perhaps if you stopped listing examples and gave the REAL domain names and subdomains, it would be a lot easier for us to help you troubleshoot it.

please don't say it's webserver.dominio.it, as that's a cname to hostingsrv12.dondominio.com

ahrasis likes this.
  13. Alex M

Alex M Member

I didn't think you needed the real server name, I thought an explanation was enough for what I did the example.

14. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

It makes trying to help you frustrating and needlessly difficult. Your problem might well have been solved already, and time saved for numerous people if you would just say what the domain name is so people could check things. At least don't say it is something when it isn't, without any indication that you aren't giving the real information.

15. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

We normally don't require them, but, sometimes when explanation are not clearing things and we keep circling without solving the real problems, providing further details may help.

16. Alex M

Alex M Member

Sorry I didn't specify that it was an example because I thought it was clear from the fact that I wrote mydomain.it

17. Alex M

Alex M Member

But so since I may have figured out what the problem is from your explanations, how do I make the server name public? Thanks

18. nhybgtvfr

create an A record for it in your dns.

19. Alex M

Alex M Member

Ok now I try thanks, but will it work even if my dns are managed separately and not within ISPConfig? Thanks

20. nhybgtvfr

yes. as long as your dns config is valid and accessible.