ISPConfig to manage a vps network for shared hosting?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ronald01990, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Ronald01990

Ronald01990 New Member

With our company we develop websites for other companies. Now that this business is growing bigger, it would be great if we can offer our customers a shared hosting package of our own rather than advising a shared hosting from a third party.

I have a few virtual private CentOS servers at TransIP (in case you know this company), but I have no experience with the setup I want. At TransIP you can group multiple servers in a private network, so you can exhange data between them, set up a load balancing network etc. I want a private network of VPSes: a master server (which hosts my company's website among with some other stuff like a Git server, mail server for my company etc.) and multiple "child" servers for the shared hosting for our customers.

I know how to setup servers with Apache, PHP, PostFix, MySQL etc. What I don't know is how to manage all this for multiple servers in one network at the same time.

What I am looking for is one server management tool on the master server that can manage all "child" servers (with things like DNS management and starting/stopping servers and processes), hosting accounts and domain settings for all websites on the child servers. If that is not possible, I would settle with the same management tool on each child server.

I have searched for some server management tools and came across ISPConfig. I think this is what I'm looking for, but I am not quite sure. Can you please tell me if ISPConfig is the right software for me to use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is made to control one or more server from a central controlpanel, these childs can be individual nodes or even mirros or a mix of that. The number of nodes is not limited. >ou can find the multiserver setup instructions on the documentation page at ispconfig.org.

3. Ronald01990

Ronald01990 New Member

With nodes you mean the VPSes, right? I can place as many VPSes as I want in the same private network, all having their own ip address.

I found a manual to install a web, email & MySQL Cluster on Debian6 with ISPConfig 3. (I want it installed on a CentOS7 VPS, but I think I can manage that.) But this manual says that this setup is meant to have a master server and a slave server that mirrors the master server.

I would like to have this second server it's own databases, mail server, FTP server etc. instead of mirroring it's master server. Can I still use this manual for this setup? Or do I have to make some changes? Or can it be done with the "Is mirror of Server" setting in the System > Servers section?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A node can be a vps or root server. It does not een matter if they are in the same datacenter or spread over differet datacenters worldwide.

the right manual is this one:

http://www.howtoforge.com/multiserv...se-servers-on-debian-squeeze-with-ispconfig-3

If you want to have each server run all services, then just use the centos 7 perfect server guide for each node and install ispconfig in expert mode and choose to join the first server when you install the 2nd, 3rd etc. node.

5. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

6. Ronald01990

Ronald01990 New Member

Can you tell me more about your setup? Do you also have a master VPS and multiple child vps servers for shared hosting purposes?

7. webguyz

Have 1 Master on its own vps
    multiple Mail servers vps's (mail only)
    multiple Fileserver vps's (Db and web together on each server as well roundcube webmail and of course FTP)
    3 dns servers vps's (2 local dns vps's and 1 remote vps. Found a cheap offsite vps provider to provide debian vps for 3rd dns server for redundancy)

All of this is running on a Xenserver multi host system with HA for security

I used Debian as my platform because that's what they develop ISPConfig on. Most of the requests for support on the forums seems to come from other Linux distros and people customizing their systems.

Stay with stock setup and everything will just work. Add things like fail2ban and mod_security and mod_evasive for security. All these extras are detailed in How-tos at the site.

Good Luck!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  8. Ronald01990

Ronald01990 New Member

@Webguyz I installed my 2 servers, first one with all options and the second with all options but the DNS server. I see both servers when I logon to the ISPConfig panel on my master server.

But when I try to add new a website on the second server (from the ISPConfig panel on the master server), it doesn't create the folders on the second server. The website is inserted in the DB on the master server, but nothing happens on the second server. Did you run into the same problem?

9. webguyz

When you went to add the website, was the name of the second server in the drop down box at the top?

Attached Files:

10. Ronald01990

Ronald01990 New Member

Thanks for your post, but I've already fixed it :)

The server drop down at the top was on my second server (server1.domain.tld). But I noticed that it had some server errors on the server status page.

It was a MySQL issue. The problem was that I don't use the default Mariadb MySQL service that comes with CentOS, but the original MySQL service from Oracle. I googled it and in the /etc/my.cnf file I had to change the sql_mode= line from sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES to sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION. After a mysql service restart it all started working :D

11. webguyz

This is why I like to use the latest vanilla Debian and the Perfect server howto's. Everything just works! :)

12. Ronald01990

Ronald01990 New Member

Yes I read that this would be the best setup, but I have more experience with CentOS than any other linux os. So I chose CentOS anyway and now I guess I have to deal with it haha