ISPConfig3 and multi-mysql instance...

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by QuetzalFirst, Mar 21, 2015.

1. QuetzalFirst

QuetzalFirst Member

Hi
    Here is what i try.
    I would like to separate databases use for ISPConfig3 (and webamil, etc) from database create by clients.
    So, I would like to create two instance of MySQL server with different ports (port 3306 for client instance and port for 23306 for ISPConfig3 instance).
    Any hint?

2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Instead of running two mysql-instances on the same server, i would setup a 2nd server for db-only.

3. QuetzalFirst

QuetzalFirst Member

Yes, better a second server. But for now, I have only one.
    The question is more related to have distinct instance to drive ISPConfig related stuff and separate from clients database. If i understand correctly, the second server (or any other server) need mysql for ISPConfig too even if it's a slave. So same problem that clients database are serve on same port that ISPConfig database? If there are a security issue on mysql server, that's will compromise all system no??

4. florian030

If _you_ would like to move some databases to a 2nd instance / server, then you must of course change the configs. I don´t know why you would split the sql-server for ispconfig, webmail, client-databases.

5. QuetzalFirst

QuetzalFirst Member

Sorry for dummy question...
    Is there a risk, say for example, that a client database can crash the server instance ?
    I'm little paranoiac for sure but I don't like idea that whole server config is on same sql server than others non relate database!
    Another example, if a database-driven site use too much resource how this impact in the management part ?

6. florian030

Every mysql-user is limited to it´s own databases. There is no security-risk running all databases on the same sql-server.

7. QuetzalFirst

QuetzalFirst Member

I read furthermore on double instance... Security is a plus... Maintenance is a minus... My heart is between...

8. florian030

I don´t think, that you need a 2nd myslq-instance for security.