ISPConfig3 - Mirror existing server in Ubuntu 14.10

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by edooze, Dec 22, 2014.

1. edooze

edooze Member

Hi All,

I have built a perfect server according to the instructions at http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-s...sl-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig

It works brilliantly, a huge thank-you to the devs for your efforts. Wow. :)

My question is this - I have purchased a second server intending to use it as both a mirror and a failover in case something happens to the first (it shouldn't but you never know). I would like both servers to have the control panel installed, so they are truly independent where necessary.

I did this before putting a plan together, foolishly thinking I could just configure it as a second server in ISPConfig, and then tell the second server it was a mirror of the first (why not, right?).

The only how-tos I have found indicate that the last time this was done seems to be with Debian 5 in 2010. A little long ago for my tastes.

Can anyone shed light on how this might be done? I'd appreciate any assistance, as I'm currently renting a server with nothing on it. Not ideal.

I've got an intermediate understanding of linux, but am a whizz at following instructions like in the how-to.

Thanks in advance,
    edooze.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Have a look at the cluster-setup.

Just install each server according to an up-to-date tutorial. Setup a mysql master-master replication and run the steps from the cluster-setup (copy the config.inc.php). I´m not sure if the cluster-tutorial is useable with the latest mysql.

3. philgardner

philgardner Member

Hi Florian,

I'm in a similar situation to edooze: I want to make server2 (with ISPConfig already installed) a mirror of existing server1. Could you please explain in a little more detail? My questions are:

[1] Do I need to uninstall ISPConfig (or revert to a snapshot before it was installed) before setting up master-master replication?

[2] What is the most up-to-date cluster-setup tutorial, and which step do I start at?

[3] How do I copy config.inc.php? I mean, where from and where to?

Sorry if these are very elementary questions!
    Thanks in advance,
    Phil

4. brainsys

brainsys Member

I'm in the same sort of position. I had two servers perfectly mirrored working great. Then one had a bad crash. I could not re-sync as I have done before. The master-master setup doesn't work. Some stuff that should work independently of ispconfig doesn't and the file permissions have gone weird. Hence I would like to wipe the damaged server and do a completely fresh install of the OS (Debian 8) and then do a master to master re-sync.

Will there be any differences from doing an initial master to master setup given that its going to be a heavy existing database and shedloads of site files that I presume unison will sort for me (is there any danger that unison will see the empty new server as the latest and wipe the existing files on the good server?).

Good to hear from anybody who has a disaster recovery plan for replacing one server of a mirrored setup.