ISPConfig3 on Rocky Linux 9?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jnewman67, Sep 25, 2022.

1. jnewman67

jnewman67 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

following the PerfectServer 8 instructions to install Rocky 9.1, found this issue:
    section 16:
    Code:
    Error: Unable to find a match: perl-DateTime-Format-HTTP
    it would appear that it's not yet available for Rocky 9.1:
    Code:
    https://dl.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/9.1/CRB/x86_64/os/Packages/p/
    (same with https://dl.rockylinux.org/pub/rocky/9/CRB/x86_64/os/Packages/p/)

perl-DateTime-1.54-4.el9.x86_64.rpm                16-May-2022 12:26              131064
    perl-DateTime-Format-Builder-0.8300-5.el9.noarc..> 16-May-2022 12:30               87443
    perl-DateTime-Format-ISO8601-0.16-3.el9.noarch.rpm 11-May-2022 11:08               34889
    perl-DateTime-Format-Strptime-1.79-2.el9.noarch..> 11-May-2022 11:13               43194
    perl-DateTime-Locale-1.31-4.el9.noarch.rpm         16-May-2022 12:28             2970569
    perl-DateTime-TimeZone-2.47-3.el9.noarch.rpm       11-May-2022 11:14              370822
    perl-DateTime-TimeZone-SystemV-0.010-14.el9.noa..> 11-May-2022 11:13               23932
    perl-DateTime-TimeZone-Tzfile-0.011-14.el9.noar..> 11-May-2022 11:12               20774

2. jnewman67

following the PerfectServer 8 instructions to install Rocky 9.1, found this issue:
    section 20:
    ooohhh, looks like Mailman is not going to be a thing moving forward with RHEL/Rocky 9. I found nothing good about trying to get it to work/build on Rocky 9 because of the python requirements. Thoughts?

3. jnewman67

section 21:
    The entire roundcube installation needs to be addresses - there's a newer version of RC and it's Pear dependencies, which need to be installed before RC can be installed. Too detailed to get into, but Auth_SASL has been superceded by Auth_SASL2, along with other changes to how it all gets installed.

i was able to get the following to work:

Code:
    pear channel-update pear.php.net
    pear install Auth_SASL
    pear install Net_SMTP
    pear install Mail_mime
    composer require guzzlehttp/guzzle (let it install composer as well)

however, guzzlehttp\client is not getting installed, nor can I figure out how to install it, so configuring roundcube stops here
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION and resolution :)
    followup, i did get roundcubemail working - just had to download the latest and COMPLETE versions (at the time of this post) from this location:
    https://github.com/roundcube/roundc...oad/1.6.1/roundcubemail-1.6.1-complete.tar.gz
    all the other instructions for the section then work as expected, and without errors.
    TLDR;
    use this link
    https://github.com/roundcube/roundc...oad/1.6.1/roundcubemail-1.6.1-complete.tar.gz
    for the download instead of one in the instructions, and all dependencies are taken care of

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  4. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

As far as I remember Mailman does not work on recent distributions due to the absence of python 2 (EOL).
    There is Mailman 3 available - not in EL9 yet - but ISPConfig is not compatible with Mailman 3 and if no maintainer is found for Mailman 3 integration then support for it will - afaik - most likely be dropped.

tl;dr
    Just continue the installation without mailman.

P.S. That perl package dependency is unnecessary and a copy/paste relic of days gone by.

till likes this.
  5. jnewman67

In the end, I have a new test server that appears to deliver the basics - postfix, httpd, dns, spam filtering, and control panel functionality. clearly I haven't fully tested it, but it's all i was really looking for at this point - needed to create an imapsync backup repository, and it's delivering on that side of things. it's not a live server, won't be serving email or websites either, but all those items configured without issues, so it's a start. The issues I mentioned above are not deal breakers for me at this point - most of them aren't used or can be gotten around if needed, in my case. and none of my observations were meant to be complaints, just pointing out sticking points to give others an idea of what needs to be addressed or avoided if looking at Rocky Linux 9.1 and ISPConfig 3.2.9p1

till likes this.
  6. jnewman67

a followup.
    it would appear I missed an error, or it didn't occur till later
    Section 11 - amavisd specifically:
    amavisd will not start says the following when trying to start
    Code:
    [root@sync bin]# systemctl start amavisd.service
    Job for amavisd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status amavisd.service" and "journalctl -xeu amavisd.service" for details.
    [\code]
    the output from the recommended systemctl status amavisd:
    [code]
    [root@sync bin]# systemctl status amavisd
    × amavisd.service - Amavis mail content checker
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/amavisd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
         Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2023-03-04 00:31:14 EST; 4min 30s ago
           Docs: http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#doc
        Process: 5815 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/amavisd -c /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
            CPU: 475ms

Mar 04 00:31:14 sync.mydomain.com systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
    Mar 04 00:31:14 sync.mydomain.com systemd[1]: Stopped Amavis mail content checker.
    Mar 04 00:31:14 sync.mydomain.com systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Mar 04 00:31:14 sync.mydomain.com systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Mar 04 00:31:14 sync.mydomain.com systemd[1]: Failed to start Amavis mail content checker.

somewhere else online I saw a reference to testing the DKIM keys with this commend:
    Code:
    amavisd testkeys
    and it outputs:
    Code:
    Config file "/etc/amavisd.conf" does not exist, at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Amavis/Conf.pm line 1982.

I tried created a link from the /etc amavisd file to the /etc /amavisd/amavisd.con" folder, but that still did not work.
    this issue leaves no traces in the /var/log/maillog logfile as well.
    any thoughts on why amavisd is not starting up as expected. Thanks.

JasonMacer and ahrasis like this.
  7. Daniel Lucio

Daniel Lucio New Member

I figured it out, I built some RPMs for RHEL9 that install all dependencies and run smoothly with the install script.
    I documented this in my blog. I will put the link when the system allows it (new account).

ahrasis and till like this.
  8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just put a few white spaces in the URL, then you can post it.

ahrasis likes this.
  9. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Nice to hear it works with version 9. I guess if more users from RHEL, CentOS, Rocky and Alma Linux contributed, the better they will be supported.

10. jnewman67

I'm installing another Rocky Linux server, 9.4 this time, and I found something I think I missed or didn't mention last time.
    I create a separate /var partition, and turn quotas on for that. following the Perfect Server guide, modifying the fstab is fine, and the quotaon seems to work, but the quotacheck command yields
    Code:
    Cannot find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.
    both before and after a reboot
    I found that the
    Code:
    mount | grep quota
    command does report that /var has ",usrquota,grpquota" assigned to it, and the shows that the other partitions show ",noquota"
    so it looks like the quotaon command works, and maybe the quotacheck reference should be adjusted.

ahrasis and till like this.
  11. jnewman67

I also did not realize this before, but there is a new version of JailKit - 2.23 - new link:
    Code:
    wget http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/jailkit-2.23.tar.gz
    instructions for installation worked otherwise (assuming all 2.21 references were changed to 2.23)

12. jnewman67

also found that perl-DateTime-Format-HTTP is now available for v9, so awstats installs per the instructions now

13. jnewman67

for Rocky Linux 9.4, the stopping/masking/disabling of firewalld.service yields errors indicating it's not meant to be dealt with by systemctl.

14. jnewman67

for Rocky Linux 9.4, there's another new version of roundcubeemail, so the instructions for that section should be
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/releases/download/1.6.7/roundcubemail-1.6.7-complete.tar.gz
    tar xfz roundcubemail-1.6.7-complete.tar.gz
    mkdir /usr/share/roundcubemail
    mv /tmp/roundcubemail-1.6.7/* /usr/share/roundcubemail/
    chown -R root:root /usr/share/roundcubemail
    chown apache /usr/share/roundcubemail/temp
    chown apache /usr/share/roundcubemail/logs

just make sure you grab the "-complete" package -the listed package on their website doesn't include all the pear modules, and those don't install easily separately

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
    JasonMacer likes this.
  15. JasonMacer

JasonMacer New Member

@jnewman67 I ran into this issue as well and after about a day of beating my head aginst the wall I went to documentation and found that there was a change in 9.3 to the way grub rebuilds and by default, it will not write changes to GRUP_CMLINE_LINUX.
    Assuming that you added the usrquota,grpquota changes when you actually issue the command to update group you need to do it as follows:
    Code:
     grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg --update-bls-cmdline 
    You need the "--update-bls-cmdline" flag for it to write the changes and enable the userquota and grpquota settings.

16. JasonMacer

JasonMacer New Member

There is also the ispconfig3_roundcube plugins that enable users to change their passwords and update filters from inside roundcube.
    You can find it here: ipsconfig3_roundcube plugin

17. JasonMacer

JasonMacer New Member

@jnewman67 I asked this on the other thread, but I wanted to bring it here too to see if you were able to verify that fail2ban was actually working on sshd, email, and the web logins for ispconfig3.

18. JasonMacer

JasonMacer New Member

Just letting anyone know that in OracleLinux 9.4 powertools is enabled using the following:
    Code:
    sudo dnf config-manager --enable ol8_codeready_builder

19. jnewman67

this is what I posted on the other thread about it (yes, is the apparent answer)
    it installed without an issue (no errors) but as it's not live yet, i can't say it's "working"
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep fail2ban
    fail2ban-selinux-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch
    fail2ban-server-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch
    fail2ban-firewalld-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch
    fail2ban-sendmail-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch
    fail2ban-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch
    fail2ban-systemd-1.0.2-12.el9.noarch

and i don't think I actually turned on iptables, so I just did that (i'll have to go look at my notes)
    Code:
    systemctl enable iptables
    systemctl start iptables

same thing with fail2ban
    Code:
    systemctl enable fail2ban
    systemctl start fail2ban

Code:
    iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             state NEW tcp dpt:ssh
    REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
    REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Code:
    systemctl status fail2ban
    ● fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban Service
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/fail2ban.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
         Active: active (running) since Tue 2024-07-16 15:43:41 EDT; 3 days ago
           Docs: man:fail2ban(1)
       Main PID: 12283 (fail2ban-server)
          Tasks: 11 (limit: 100112)
         Memory: 19.7M
            CPU: 7min 34.106s
         CGroup: /system.slice/fail2ban.service
                 └─12283 /usr/bin/python3 -s /usr/bin/fail2ban-server -xf start

so it doesn't look like there are any issues, but maybe someone else will see something I missed.