ISPConfig3 plugable mail subsystem (for Google Apps) and nginx as alternative

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by eugenesan, Dec 27, 2008.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig has a plugin system for the server configuration part. If you want to add another webserver or implement a different way a webserver shall be configured, just write a new plugin like eugenesan did. Change in the existing apache plugin that change the way apache is configured in a default ispconfig setup will not be accepted as the ispconfig project trys always to be downwards compatible. but as long as you implement your features as new plugins there is no problem to add them to svn.

2. KenMasters

KenMasters New Member

I, for one, am anxiously awaiting your configuration details. With the lack of decent documentation for ISPConfig 3, I'm having trouble with getting mail to point to an external mail server (Google Apps). Thanks for your hard work on this!

3. till

Pointing email tp google apps has nothing to do with the mail system itself. Just create a dns mx records tha points to googles servers as google describes it in their instructions.

4. KenMasters

KenMasters New Member

Let me clarify: I already have Google setup via my primary external DNS servers, but for ISPConfig2, I had to specify an external mail server for each domain and create the appropriate local DNS MX records to force my php applications and server (postfix) to relay to Google's servers for sending email, as described HERE. Has this changed to be automatic if I simply set the local DNS MX records to point to Google's servers? Thanks again!

5. till

ISPConfig 3 does not create automatic mail server entry for domains as ispconfig 2 did, so you dont have to configure anything in ispconfig 3 if you use a external mailserver like google.

6. KenMasters

KenMasters New Member

Okay, fair enough, so you're saying that my server will automatically know to use Google's mail servers for sending email for each domain? That seems almost too simple. I've been hesitant to migrate to ISPConfig3 because of this issue, so I guess my fears were unfounded. I can't wait for the new release, and then some docs for the new interface -- which is VERY slick I might add. Nice work. :D

7. masky

masky New Member

Nginx support in ISPConfig 3.0.1.3

Is this patch available as part of 3.0.1.3? Can someone provide instructions to swtich ISPConfig 3.0.1.3 to use Nginx?

Thanks in advance
    Masky

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  8. till

No. The patch is not part of ISPConfig as it renames several database fields which makes a patched system incompatible with any future ISPConfig updates and also breaks all installed systems if we would introduce it into the main branch. If I will find the time I will try to rewrite the patch so that it uses the correct database fields of ISPConfig so that it will not break exsiting systems.

9. eugenesan

eugenesan New Member

Hi,

Actually I am not sure I am breaking anything in DB structure, I was just adding new fields.
    But, unfortunately, I had to perform some changes in Webserver area that may be incompatible with already installed systems.

BTW: Since last time I've posted my patch I've enhanced my local installation and new patch must be prepared if some one is planning to use it.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need.

10. till

If you have a new patch, I will try to find the time to rewrite it to make it compatible with installed releases. Please post the patch to the bugtracker so that it gets part of the review process.

http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org

11. eugenesan

eugenesan New Member

Ok, I'll have to prepare the patch first :)
    I'll update you with details soon.

12. blackbumer

blackbumer New Member

is it right method of isntallation patch :
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/src/
    svn checkout svn://svn.ispconfig.org/ispconfig3/trunk/
    mv trunk ISPConfig-trunk
    patch -p1 ../ispconfig-trunk.nginx-0.1.patch

should i apply all patches in this thread or just last one? (ispconfig-trunk.nginx-0.2.0.4)

13. eugenesan

eugenesan New Member

Hi,

Only the latest patch should be applied, but I suspect there maybe a problem with last one. Seems like several files slipped into "original" tree before I've created patch.

At the moment I have running setup but can't find time to "rediff" it with latest version. In addition some functionality still not documented :-(

I can try to pack a tarball which can be used to merge with latest ISPC version.
    What do you think?

14. blackbumer

blackbumer New Member

it will be very nice !!!
    very need it :)

15. cubells

cubells Member HowtoForge Supporter

I'm eager to test it!!

16. eugenesan

eugenesan New Member

Hi,

At the moment I am "extracting" changes from local setup to installable tree.
    I still need to prepare SQL template, that can take some time.
    Hope to finish very soon, maybe tomorrow...

17. till

Normally all files should be with unix linebreaks. Do you know which filesw ere wrong?

Thats sad as it breaks the compatibility with the existing ISPConfig 3 installations and will prevent that we add this patch to ispconfig main branch.

18. eugenesan

eugenesan New Member

I didn't write down file names, but when I'll post a patch we probably will see it.

Yes, I am aware of it, but as I recall that was the only rational solution.
    Actually I am pretty sure everything will continue to work for Apache too.
    And we can always assume Apache is the default.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  19. till

That depends on what you changed. If you changed the name of a database field e.g. the apache_directives field to webserver_directives, all installations with your patch can not be updated with a normal ispconfig update in future and are not able to install any of the bugfixes or possible future security fixes. If they would install an update or use the ispconfig update function, they would loose the complete server configuration in the database as of the incompatible db scheme.

20. eugenesan

eugenesan New Member

Yes, here you right.

But, for example, if next update will include updates to both DB fields and references in code, we may solve the problem.

In addition you may consider adding my changes to next major release.
    That way people who wish to evaluate nginx will use trunk or will have to wait for final release.
    In future, people willing to move to that release, from older ISPC, will be required to perform minor adaptation to their DB.

Unfortunately I don't recall all changes I've performed and after I'll review final patch I may reply with concrete examples.

What do you think about my proposal?