ISPConfig3 Wheezy Perfect Build - No DNS

Discussion in 'General' started by mrtrotter, Dec 5, 2014.

1. mrtrotter

mrtrotter New Member

I have built from scratch and rebuilt several times and continue to get the same results, what are:

After the build is complete and I add my fist DNS entry, everything appears to work, meaning no errors of any kind are displayed. But, when I query the DNS server it fails to respond with any of the new entries. I double checked BIND and it shows NO NEW Zones either, but ISPConfig shows all the new zones (which I have set up manually and with the wizard). I can query the ISPConfig database and see that the records are in SQL, but the entries are never passed to bind.

This is of course a big change as I am used to ISPConfig2 and have used it for years, so this very well may be me that is the issue. Please let me know what I can provide to assist. I am not quite sure where to start.

PS - If I manually create bind zones (without ISPConfig3) they work fine.

Cheers!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In the ispconfig monitor > jobqueue, are there any items listed?

3. mrtrotter

mrtrotter New Member

Job queue is empty and says only, "No results". I also checked the /var/log/ispconfig/ispconfig.log and it was empty.

Thanks, till!

4. mrtrotter

mrtrotter New Member

5. till

Thats good that you used this guide as its the recommended and best tested guide which is used on > 10 000 servers worldwide, we test it every few days, the last test happened about 30 hours ago by a blind copy/paste test of all commands followed by a test of all ispconfig functions. I just addded a dns zone on this test system in ispconfig and it works out of the box, so it is guaranteed that there is neiter an issue in the guide nor in ispconfig 3.0.5.4p5.

So now we have to debug what has been changed in your setup to see whats different from the published guide.

Follow these instructions to enable debugging:

http://www.faqforge.com/linux/debugging-ispconfig-3-server-actions-in-case-of-a-failure/

then add new dns zone in ispconfig, run the server.sh script and post the output.

Btw. the most common mistake that users make is that they use a ns1 and ns2 server in a zone that belongs to the same zone and then miss to add the ns servers as a-records too, as bind can not resolve a ns server that does not exist as a-record. So you might want to check that first.

Another ption is that you might have mised to add a dot after a fully qualified domain name. the dns notation of a fqdn in bind is e.g.:

www.example.com.

with a dot at the end and not:

www.example.com

as you would use for a website e.g. in apache. As you used ispconfig 2 befre, ispconfig 2 added the dots automatically and therefor limited the options of the admin while ispconfig 3 requires you to add the dots, only when you use the dns wizard, then dodt get added automatically.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  6. mrtrotter

mrtrotter New Member

Thank you, Till. I enabled debugging to get the output you requested, but after commenting out the line and executing the script manually I receive the following:
    Code:
    PHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/ming.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0
    PHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/ming.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0

Contents of /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/ming.ini:
    Code:
    # configuration for php MING module
    extension=ming.so

Php5 Version info:
    Code:
    root@gendo:/usr/local/ispconfig/server# php5 -v
    PHP 5.4.35-0+deb7u2 (cli) (built: Nov 19 2014 07:56:24) 
    Copyright (c) 1997-2014 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.4.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Zend Technologies
        with XCache v2.0.0, Copyright (c) 2005-2012, by mOo
    root@gendo:/usr/local/ispconfig/server#
    I removed the commented line completely and re-ran the script and it executed without error, but all that was in the log was 'finished.':

Code:
    root@gendo:/usr/local/ispconfig/server# ./server.sh > temp.log
    root@gendo:/usr/local/ispconfig/server# cat temp.log
    finished.
    root@gendo:/usr/local/ispconfig/server#

I also ensured I was using the trailing period for the FQDN. I appreciate your assistance and will keep poking at it in the hopes you or someone has additional troubleshooting steps to follow. Thank you again, sir!

Devin

7. till

The log level has to be set to debug mode. the current output is from log level errr or warning, so the debug messages are not shown. Login to ispconfig, go to system > server config, click on your server and set loglevel to "debug". Then create a new dns zone (the esaiets way is to use the dns wizard) and then run:

/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh

and post the output.

8. mrtrotter

mrtrotter New Member

Well. I haven't changed anything with any configs, and after enabling the debug mode the record was added successfully. I *think* I entered it using the same process as before, but since I didn't change anything I had to have fat fingered something previously.

I guess this is like taking your car to a mechanic - the problem doesn't happen anymore once you get it into the shop. Ha!

I will continue to experiment and see what I come up with. I would like to reproduce the issue just so I can understand why I was having the issue. I will make sure to update this thread with any new details and make it as resolved if I cannot find any issues moving forward.

Thank yo VERY much for you assistance, Till.

Devin

9. mrtrotter

mrtrotter New Member

Now I see what is happening (kind of).

When I enter the DNS record via the wizard, the records are not showing up in BIND until /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh is executed. As a test I entered the DNS record, waited 2 minutes, then checked in BIND - No records. I then executed
    Code:
    /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh > ~/server.log
    I immediately checked BIND and the records were there.

So, am I going crazy here, or is there something to this? Possibly my lack of understanding on the differences with the new system?

Thanks!

Devin

10. mrtrotter

mrtrotter New Member

It wasn't updating until I ran the script because I had left the cron job disabled as part of our troubleshooting. It is now working. I still don't know why it is working now, but it is. I will continue to poke at it and see if I can find anything that was preventing me prior.

Cheers!
    Devin

11. mrtrotter

mrtrotter New Member

I am going to have to chalk this up completely to user error. I cannot reproduce the symptoms I was experiencing. Thank you for you help, and have a good one. Cheers!

Devin